The Student Room Group

uni/counselling

I've found the last term of university really difficult - in terms of keeping up with work load & the work I did produce suffered a lot compared to previous terms and I'm really scared about next term, where things start to count towards my final grade. I don't really know what was so different compared to the term before, which had felt like a lot of progress and didn't feel like I really needed any support. I struggled a lot in first year with what may be potentially-anxiety related but never decided to seek formal diagnosis via gp/or counselling (because I found the whole process too much) but with support in uni through welfare services/tutor etc I found it a lot more manageable at the start of second year. However, I'm concerned that this wasn't enough and I should have listened to those who recommended I tried counselling.

Does anyone have any advice - is it worthwhile if in a similar situation? I think having a good term before has made me feel like I'd be wasting their time..
Original post by Anonymous
I've found the last term of university really difficult - in terms of keeping up with work load & the work I did produce suffered a lot compared to previous terms and I'm really scared about next term, where things start to count towards my final grade. I don't really know what was so different compared to the term before, which had felt like a lot of progress and didn't feel like I really needed any support. I struggled a lot in first year with what may be potentially-anxiety related but never decided to seek formal diagnosis via gp/or counselling (because I found the whole process too much) but with support in uni through welfare services/tutor etc I found it a lot more manageable at the start of second year. However, I'm concerned that this wasn't enough and I should have listened to those who recommended I tried counselling.

Does anyone have any advice - is it worthwhile if in a similar situation? I think having a good term before has made me feel like I'd be wasting their time..

Hi! I'm a second year and honestly if you feel like anxiety is impacting your life its definitely worth seeking some help. I had a really bad first year at uni and as a result coming back this year was really difficult and I developed an anxiety disorder. I sought help from my GP and the university counselling service. Sometimes people find it easier to start with counselling so maybe start there if you're unsure? The waitlist at uni can be long (mine was only 3 weeks but I know of friends who have waited longer) so it could be worth getting on a waiting list to talk to someone. Also counselling isn't always helpful and that often depends on the cause of anxiety and whether you're really ready to do counselling. Lmk if you have any questions!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Sorry to hear you are struggling. First of all, you do not need a formal diagnosis to attend counselling - anyone can access it if they feel it would help them. Also, a GP would not give you a diagnosis of a mental health problem. They would likely use psychometric tests to see if you have symptoms of anxiety or depression, but these are not used to diagnose.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to refer yourself for counselling or other mental wellbeing support through IAPT, or you can contact your GP and ask to be referred. If you are feeling low or anxious, it could be worth giving it a go. If it doesn't help, you can always stop - it's not for everyone! If what you are struggling with is the more practical elements of studying (e.g., deadlines, managing your time, struggling with workload or difficulty of the content), getting support from a tutor might be more helpful.
Hi,

I am sorry to hear that. Please remember that you are not alone and you have the right to seek help. Your mental health is extremely important!

Firstly, I would suggest reaching out to mental health support at your university. It might be incredibly helpful to talk about your feelings, worries, and issues with someone. No one will give you better advice or support than a professional who can greatly understand you. Also, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Struggling while being at university is completely normal and that is what welfare services are for.

Secondly, consider talking with your lecturers. You will be surprised how understanding and compassionate they might be. There are opportunities for 1:1 support or deferrals that you definitely deserve.

Take care,

Julia

Quick Reply

Latest