The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 Triple Higher Tier [16th May 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inspectorr
Thank you so much <3
I just looked up the sepc on on the website and got all the topics I need.. thankfully I've already revised them so shouldn't be a problem now. I appreciate your reply.

My teacher for A-Level (also teaches GCSE) mentioned that if you do Biology (not combined) then expect topics that aren’t on the combined spec e.g. (I think) binary fission, monoclonal antibodies, etc.
Reply 21
Good luck yall there’s just over a week left!! i will be back here to discuss what we wrote 🤧
Original post by JA03

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 Higher Tier | 16th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information

Date/Time: 16th May 2023 AM
Length: 1h 45m

Link to Study Group:
GCSE Biology Study Group 2022-2023
Link to Master Thread:
GCSE Exam Discussions 2023

Remember to stick to forum rules
Layout inspired by 5hyl33n

Any idea where I can get ocr 2022 combined science past papers from, to help with my revision? The latest I can find in Nov 2021
Original post by Chris-Oxley
Any idea where I can get ocr 2022 combined science past papers from, to help with my revision? The latest I can find in Nov 2021

The 2022 papers are locked and are only accessible to teachers. Some teachers may give the paper to their students but I don’t think they’re supposed to.
Original post by JA03
The 2022 papers are locked and are only accessible to teachers. Some teachers may give the paper to their students but I don’t think they’re supposed to.

That's a shame, don't understand why they would do that though. Mocks have completed That's usually the main reason
Original post by Chris-Oxley
That's a shame, don't understand why they would do that though. Mocks have completed That's usually the main reason

Yeah but don't dwell on it. You can always ask your teacher to give you the paper but no promises they say yes.
I'm so nervous but I believe we can all do it, knowing that after GCSE's we are going to have a long summer holiday full of rest, so it is best to sacrifice now and feel good on results day knowing that you have tried your best good luck to everyone 😊
Reply 27
Lads bio paper 1 is easiest of all science papers, best not to stress,
I would advise focusing on paper 2 as that’s where most people slip up !
Reply 28
Original post by Inspectorr
II'm so nervous :frown:

I'm not looking forward to it
Reply 29
I prefer paper 2 to paper 1

Original post by Fd19300
Lads bio paper 1 is easiest of all science papers, best not to stress,
I would advise focusing on paper 2 as that’s where most people slip up !
Which topic do you guys think will come up most likely?

My bets on Organisation (circulatory system, exchange surfaces, etc.)
Let's see if I'm correct :]
Reply 31
Original post by emmanuella15
hey does anyone. think it's possible to go up 2 grades in 3 weeks I was 4 or 5 marks off a grade 6 (so i got a grade 5 lol )in my biology paper 2 mock (back in mid -February) I would really like to do a level biology and the entry requirements at my 6th form college are grade 6 but i would like to get a grade 7 to get a better chance of getting in the college. Im constantly doing exam questions and flashcards, i feel as though maybe thats not enough

hi i would advise this close to the exam ditch making flashcards/ notes, unless its a topic ur constantly forgetting and can quickly look at just before the exams. past papers truly are the best resources but also make up ur own questions, and look thru ur exam boards spec and annotate it, then check ur textbook to find the gaps in ur knowledge! but right now it should just be applying, and if ur struggling on smthn make a quick flashcard or watch a youtube video please dont waste time making pretty notes xx i cant apply this method to bio but in physics in year 10 i was getting consistent 6s, and now im working at a low 9 so honestly practice questions on pmt/ your exam boards website is the best thing
Reply 32
Original post by yukhei
im so scared

literally, 4 days left bro I could cry
Reply 33
Hey im doing my gcse in 2 days and freaking out can you send me the biology papers aswell if its aqa combined science
Reply 34
does anybody have any tips on how to become better at biology, because i need to get atleast a 7/8.
Biology is a tricky science, although the concepts are perhaps easier to understand than physics and chemistry the mark schemes are very particular in what they want therefore the grade boundaries for biology (at least for AQA) are always the lowest out of all 3 sciences. Because we have little time left I would recommend a few things:
- Do past paper questions and look at the mark schemes not only to correct your answer but to understand and learn how the mark scheme wanted you to answer the question. This will help you in the exam spot the question types and answer accordingly. If you don't have time to do full papers I sould suggest going on save my exams and going to the topic questions section this way you can pick your harder topics and check the mark schemes after each question.
- Do active recall, biology is a lot of memorisation so read through a page in the text book then re-write it from memory and then correct it and repeat. You can use seneca or the flashcards avaliable on Physics and Maths Tutor as well to do active recall if you have not made your own flashcards.

I wish you all the best luck!!! YOU CAN DO IT! :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by pw2327
Hey im doing my gcse in 2 days and freaking out can you send me the biology papers aswell if its aqa combined science

I've only got the triple papers, sorry
Reply 37
thank you so much, right now i am doing english lit because it is the furthest away from today (apart from maths) , do you think it would be a good idea to dedicate tomorrow as a biology day so that i can do the most for it?
your tips are really helpful, and i thank you for them. if you have exams too, i wish you all the very best of luck!
thank you again :u:
The pressure is literally getting worser
What really works for me is to make a timetable on google docs. This helps me see how much time I have available and makes my revision representative so I can easily see whether I have planned too much or too little for that day. Dedicating a whole day to one subject I feel would not work for me unless it was last minute cramming before the exam. I would say on your days off i.e weekends or days with no exams study 2-4 subjects a day depending on how long you wish to spend on them. Normally I like to put 2 hard subjects together alongside 1 easy subject.

Depending on your exam timetable I would dedicate one whole day to biology if your other exams that are in the more foreseeable future are easy or low priority compared to Biology. It is all about prioritising and by making a spreadsheet or document of all your exams then writing what subjects you will revise on that day you are more able to see whether you are dedicating adequate time to said subject and also bring into consideration the dates of your exams.

So in short:
- Prioritize.
- Make a plan/plan ahead.
- Leave time to rest (Exams you anticipate will be bad I like to put 1hour of crying time 'lol')
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending