The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 Triple Higher Tier [16th May 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inspectorr
I'm still not sure if I'm revising the correct topics.. Do you think monoclonal antibodies will come in the exam?

it could because there isnt many triple topics in paper 1
Reply 81
Original post by definitive-k
it could because there isnt many triple topics in paper 1

I agree. Plant Defences and microbiology (so like the aseptic techniques and binary fission stuff) have a good chance of showing up as well because all the triple content seems to be concentrated in paper 2.
Reply 82
pre clinical and clinical trial testing could come up ^^^ it’s good to revise the pros and cons of each and every stage
Reply 83
Original post by moroselife
hi 😭😭😭 ive just got to complete 2 more past papers then go over cancer cells </3 does anyone have any tips for learning stuff about plants like transpiration and translocation and limiting factors, i just don’t understand limiting factors at all

What exactly do you not understand about limiting factors. What they are and how each of them affect photosynthesis individually or more like the relationship between all them
Reply 84
Original post by JQ2neeky
What exactly do you not understand about limiting factors. What they are and how each of them affect photosynthesis individually or more like the relationship between all them

uhhhhh both of them
Reply 85
scared but excited to get it over n done w!!!!
Reply 86
nah bro not now it's the night before...
Reply 87
uhhhhh both of them

- A limiting factor is something that prevents photosynthesis for happening at a faster rate. (It's all about rate of photosynthesis)
- CO2 concentration: It is a reactant in photosynthesis so if is too low, there isn't enough to react with water so the rate is lower (for some weird reason, water isn't a limiting factor)
- Light intensity - Chloroplasts use light from sun for photosynthesis. If light intensity is low, then there is less energy to do photosynthesis so rate is lower
- Temperature - pretty much the same reasoning behind enzymes. Temperature too low and not enough energy for collisions for reaction. Temperature too high and enzymes denature. Needs optimum temperature to have fastest rate
Reply 88
yeah thats calm just use the site called cognito - youll be able to go up immediately pretty much
Reply 89
- A limiting factor is something that prevents photosynthesis for happening at a faster rate. (It's all about rate of photosynthesis)
- CO2 concentration: It is a reactant in photosynthesis so if is too low, there isn't enough to react with water so the rate is lower (for some weird reason, water isn't a limiting factor)
- Light intensity - Chloroplasts use light from sun for photosynthesis. If light intensity is low, then there is less energy to do photosynthesis so rate is lower
- Temperature - pretty much the same reasoning behind enzymes. Temperature too low and not enough energy for collisions for reaction. Temperature too high and enzymes denature. Needs optimum temperature to have fastest rate

Oh and also (a kind of complicated concept) If one of these is a limiting factor and you increase it, it continues to be the limiting factor until one of the other factors is in short supply. Then that other factor will become limiting.

E.g. if CO2 concentration was limiting and I increase it, eventually light intensity will be the thing that is too low not CO2 concentration anymore.

That is probably still confusing but it is a tough topic
Reply 90
Original post by pigeonblox
yeah thats calm just use the site called cognito - youll be able to go up immediately pretty much

true, the website's really good
Reply 91
use this site called cognito - it describes everything perfectly

hi 😭😭😭 ive just got to complete 2 more past papers then go over cancer cells </3 does anyone have any tips for learning stuff about plants like transpiration and translocation and limiting factors, i just don’t understand limiting factors at all
Reply 92
Original post by pigeonblox
use this site called cognito - it describes everything perfectly

https://cognitoedu.org/
Reply 93
Original post by JA03
Firstly, make sure to do some questions to see where your final faults may be so you can access all the marks. Use the MARCKS acronym.
M - Maths
A - Apply
R - Read the Question (I think)
C - Clarity of the question
K - Knowledge
S - Stats (you don't need this at GCSE - it's an A-Level maths skill for Biology)

Secondly, don't stress out.
Thirdly and finally - do not dwell on your exam after it has happened. Because dwelling and worrying about an exam that has already happened will not do you any good, it won't change anything because it's already done.

Thank you so much for your help
Reply 94
Does anyone have any predicted questions or topics that may come up
Reply 95
Original post by d3str0y
Does anyone have any predicted questions or topics that may come up

All i can really say is learn paper 1 triple content. At least one of the 3(of the top of my head) triple topics will come up simply because there are so few of them in Paper 1. so that's Microbiology (Binary fission and Culturing/aseptic techniques), Monoclonal antibodies and Plant defence systems against pathogens. Other than that, a lot of stuff will repeat year on year making it hard to predict a specific topic and AQA love to intertwine 2 or 3 quite topics into one question. It all depends on context really
Reply 96
Original post by Inspectorr
I'm still not sure if I'm revising the correct topics.. Do you think monoclonal antibodies will come in the exam?

i feel like it came up recently but I'd just do it anyway because it could still come up
Reply 97
Original post by JA03

AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 Higher Tier | 16th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information

Date/Time: 16th May 2023 AM
Length: 1h 45m

Link to Study Group:
GCSE Biology Study Group 2022-2023
Link to Master Thread:
GCSE Exam Discussions 2023

Remember to stick to forum rules
Layout inspired by 5hyl33n

Hi what is the percentage needed for a grade 4 in gcse aqa combined science in one paper
Reply 98
Original post by Redoract
Hi what is the percentage needed for a grade 4 in gcse aqa combined science in one paper

Higher or Foundation
Reply 99
Higher or Foundation

For Foundation about 57-58%
For Higher about 24-25%
I wouldn't go off of these as grade boundaries fluctuate based on how everyone else does
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending