The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology Paper 3 [21st June 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hopefully she has thought it through. I think she's made some good predictions on some of the gcse papers this year so fingers crossed
Original post by Rach111
Hopefully she has thought it through. I think she's made some good predictions on some of the gcse papers this year so fingers crossed

yeah hopefully. well if not I just hope that the grade boundaries are low. what's an A like 55%?
Reply 22
Original post by B7861
yeah hopefully. well if not I just hope that the grade boundaries are low. what's an A like 55%?

yeah they're quite low ngl !!
Original post by hello1736
yeah they're quite low ngl !!

yeah, when i think about how hard the papers could be I always say to myself that I can easily get 55%..... but I might be wrong lol
Reply 24
Original post by B7861
yeah, when i think about how hard the papers could be I always say to myself that I can easily get 55%..... but I might be wrong lol

lol but its important to remember that everyone id going through the same boat and the questions are difficult on purpose !! thats why the boundaries are one of the lowest - hopefully we will be ok :smile:
Hey guys i just wanna put this here. These topics didnt come up much in paper 1:
- Mass Transport (Heart, translocation, lungs)
- Ecology (There was some just not too much)
so i think they are likely to come up in this paper, may just repeat the topics though because aqa is evil
Would it be a good idea to start this paper off with the essay?
Reply 27
Original post by psych_lover

Definitely!
Original post by sb.xo
Definitely!

Why do you think so?
Reply 29
how long for the essay ? 40 mins?
How are people preparing for the essay? I can't seem to put topics together without a question which won't help for this exam
Original post by B7861
Anyone have any advice on how to revise for practical stuff ?

watch videos definitely, helps you visualise stuff more. other than that, i can’t stress it enough - do exam qs!! they will give you a feel of what they are looking for in the markscheme. also the markscheme, i try to memorise whatever they say in them so i can just regurgitate it. not sure if that’s any good advice but i hope it helps!!:smile:
Reply 32
Why do you think so?

I mean depending on the essay... I would feel more comfortable if I know I have written the majority of the essay especially because the papers seem to be time pressured this year and also you may remember more details or topics whilst doing the rest of paper which you can go and add! But it is really dependent on what the essay is.

it really depends on you. i remember seeing loads of people go straight for the essay for my AS exam but i personally don’t do this. first things first, just look at the essay. if you have an idea, jot it down. if not, think about what question you might do as you go back to the beginning and actually start the paper. this way you’re thinking about it in the back of your mind and not thinking of ideas whilst you write it. also, sometimes the questions can inspire you and give you some ideas whilst you answer them, so that’s always rlly good for topic ideas
How will people revise for this paper?
Original post by hello1736
how long for the essay ? 40 mins?

yes, my college recommend 5 mins planning , 35 mins writing
Reply 36
does anyone have any predictions for the essay?
Hey! Hope paper 2 went well for everyone :smile: My predictions have been correct so far for paper 1 and 2, so here are my paper 3 predictions:

- Cardiac cycle (may be linked to control of heart rate)
- Translocation and evidence for/against mass flow hypothesis (ringing experiments, tracers)
- Index of diversity (may be linked to transects/quadrats in topic 7)
(Protein synthesis may come up, but this may be linked to topic 8 content)
- Taxes/Kinesis (incl RP 10)
- Control of blood glucose concentration (incl RP 11)
- Stem cells
- Oestrogen - linked to transcription factors
- Photosynthesis/Respiration
- Inheritance unlikely to appear but may be some more juicy genetics qu's

Essay predictions (anything can come up, so here are 4 potential essay titles):

- The importance of proteins in the control of processes and responses in organisms
- The importance of hydrogen bonds
- The importance of water
- The importance of concentration gradients

(Microorganisms is unlikely to come up as a title, even though Miss Estruch predicted it -- most of the topics are overlapping and there's not enough content on microbiology, but it is a good idea to plan an essay for it!)

If there's enough people who want it, I may post my A* essay answers to the essay titles which got me the top band by my teacher. Good luck! :smile: ONE MORE PAPER AND THAT'S BIO DONE. YOU GOT THIS.

UPDATE: here's the essays https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PlMwWTFGh9YTt6prYGVMYlg7GQXkkhaz/view?usp=sharing
(edited 10 months ago)
I would love the essays please! thanks so much :smile:
Original post by fruityoghurt
Hey! Hope paper 2 went well for everyone :smile: My predictions have been correct so far for paper 1 and 2, so here are my paper 3 predictions:

- Cardiac cycle (may be linked to control of heart rate)
- Translocation and evidence for/against mass flow hypothesis (ringing experiments, tracers)
- Index of diversity
(Protein synthesis may come up, but this may be linked to topic 8 content)
- Taxes/Kinesis (incl RP 10)
- Control of blood glucose concentration (incl RP 11)
- Stem cells
- Oestrogen - linked to transcription factors
- Photosynthesis/Respiration

Essay predictions (anything can come up, so here are 4 potential essay titles):

- The importance of proteins in the control of processes and responses in organisms
- The importance of hydrogen bonds
- The importance of water
- The importance of concentration gradients

(Microorganisms is unlikely to come up as a title, even though Miss Estruch predicted it -- most of the topics are overlapping and there's not enough content on microbiology, but it is a good idea to plan an essay for it!)

If there's enough people who want it, I may post my A* essay answers to the essay titles which got me the top band by my teacher. Good luck! :smile: ONE MORE PAPER AND THAT'S BIO DONE. YOU GOT THIS.
Reply 39
does anyone have prim kitten pred papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending