The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year and applying for a Physics degree.

Hi,So I applied for uni this year for materials science and engineering, but I have since realised that my true interest lies in Physics, however I only take maths,chemistry and computer science at a level. I intend on hopefully applying to top unis for physics such as Bristol,manchester,imperial and cambridge(natural science) and although none of these unis explicitly require you to take Further Maths at a level, I am worried that I will be disadvantaged if I dont take it as my school offered it, but at the same time I also want to be able to enjoy my gap year, and also work. Basically, I have 3 options. 1)Take Physics 2)Take Physics and AS Further Maths 3)Take Physics and Further Maths. Any advice would be very appreciated, thanks!!
Hi, you sound really ambitious and that's a great thing! In my experience of doing university applications, if the unis themselves aren't bothered about the further maths thing then it's not really anything of major concern, the fact that you have maths and comp sci already put you at a good advantage. It would be useful for you to see if you can find a copy of the specification of the course at each uni and look through it to gain a better understanding of the things you'll be studying and from there decide on what you need to study further.

It would also be worthwhile to contact the admissions department of each uni and ask for their advice on things. I also did an additional A level during my gap year and it was very hectic, it drove me nuts! It is also quite difficult to do and you won't have time for much other things, if you're still feeling persistent about it then study a level physics. It wil be difficult but I wish you the best of luck! I hope this helps :smile:
Well as long as you have confidence in yourself, apply to Oxford if you're taking further maths! It is, according to some (although I wouldn't say it is), the hardest a level to do. Achieving that and a physics a level (which is also said to be the hardest a level) in a single year is a rare and truly difficult feat and youay as well apply if you do well. It isn't a requirement to do further maths, correct, but you are correct. You can feel as if you are behind but also remember most other people won't have done it. So you don't need to put more pressure if you don't like, and enjoy your gap year. Perhaps visit physics' destinations like Greece and Isaac Newton's hometown. Not for anything specific but to feel you're subject more!
How stuck on the top few most prestigious universities are you? How were you planning to study for and sit the physics a level exams and practicals?
Reply 4
To be honest, I do want to go to one of the top universities for physics if possible. My 6th Form is quite helpful when it comes to gap year stuff - this year people are resitting exams, applying to ucas and stuff like that and the school are helping them and letting them sit the exams here etc, so I’m quite confident I’d be able to sit my exams there next year
Original post by Grailey
To be honest, I do want to go to one of the top universities for physics if possible. My 6th Form is quite helpful when it comes to gap year stuff - this year people are resitting exams, applying to ucas and stuff like that and the school are helping them and letting them sit the exams here etc, so I’m quite confident I’d be able to sit my exams there next year

Ah, cool. Physics is different enough from materials science to go for what you fancy. Have you looked into foundation years? I think Southampton and Manchester have courses which could work.
Why not just apply to courses with a foundation year as above? Some notable ones offering physics with a foundation year include Birmingham, Manchester, and Southampton.

I think not having A-level FM and applying to Imperial for physics or Cambridge NatSci with a specified goal of focusing on physics will probably make you less competitive (possibly even non-competitive). I would strongly recommend at least taking AS FM if nothing else, if those unis are your goal.

But as noted there are plenty of very good physics courses available with a foundation year so I might suggest having a look at what is available in that regime in the current application cycle (e.g. through extra or clearing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending