The Student Room Group

URGENT - Imperial Offer vs Reapplication to Oxford

Hello there, if anyone can give me some advice it would be hugely appreciated!

I have an offer to study Physics at Imperial this coming October, but I am not sure if I want to go.

I got my A level results and got 3A*s in Maths, Further Maths and Physics and got an A in chemistry.

I am currently considering not going to imperial but applying to uk universities next year again (in hopes of getting in to Oxford, imperial is my second choice).

I realise that my application to oxford during a gap year would not be a sure success, but I am just worried that if Imperial rejects me come next year, I am in a worse position than now...

The reason for all of this is partly that I don't think I would do very well in London and that the physics department at imperial ranks bottom in the country in terms of student satisfaction.

I would also apply to ETH (zurich), St. Gallen and Bocconi in europe, and some top american universities.

If anyone who was been in a similar position or just generally anyone could lend me some advice I would hugely appreciate it!

Thanks!
First of all congratulations on your A level results! That's an amazing achievement.

I understand your hesitation about going to Imperial. It's a big decision, and there are a lot of factors to consider.

Here are a few things to think about:

Why are you not sure about going to Imperial? Is it the location, the physics department, or something else?
What are your reasons for wanting to go to Oxford?
How would you spend your gap year if you took one? Would you use it to travel, work, or study?
What are your other options for universities?
Once you've had a chance to think about these things, you can start to make a decision. If you're still not sure, it might be helpful to talk to a trusted advisor, such as a teacher, counselor, or family member.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

Going to Oxford is not a guarantee of success. There are many talented students who attend Oxford and don't achieve their full potential.
Taking a gap year can be a great way to explore your options and figure out what you want to do with your life.
There are many great universities in the UK and around the world. Don't limit yourself to just Oxford and Imperial.
Ultimately, the decision of whether or not to go to Imperial is up to you. There is no right or wrong answer. Take some time to think about what's important to you, and make the decision that feels right for you.

I hope this will help you and for more discussion DM me to talk more about it. Thanks.
Hi there,

I personally would advise against reapplying to Oxford since you already have an offer... but it seems like you're not too sure if Imperial is right for you, which changes the equation a bit. I'd strongly urge you to consider if you're not too sure if Imperial is right for you because it's actually not right for you or because you want to pursue Oxford. Before you decide, I want to ask you, have you gone and visited Imperial and London? Why do you think you wouldn't do very well in London? It's a great place, lots to do, friendly people, you're guaranteed to find a community in which you'll fit right in! I had a look at student satisfaction and it does rank a bit lowly for physics, but it does have 69% student satisfaction which does mean that a majority of students are satisfied with Imperial, and Oxford seems to have only an extra 9 percentage points in that regard... and student satisfaction is just a pointer as to if you'll be satisfied or not. Don't consider what other people think - consider what you think of Imperial.

Taking a gap year doesn't come without risks either, as you seem to be aware of. I think actually a key reason as to why you shouldn't take a gap year is because you're worried about Imperial rejecting you next year - you'll be reapplying to them, which points towards you actually thinking that you'd be alright at Imperial! Or you're doing a very silly thing, applying to a place that you wouldn't be too happy with.

So this is what I'd do if I were you. I'd decide whether if Imperial is right for you. If it is right for you, stick to it, enjoy your physics degree. If you think that you wouldn't be happy at Imperial, you should reject your offer and take a gap year. Hope I've given you some guidance, good luck with whatever you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending