The Student Room Group

english language - how to improve fast

hello, I NEED HELPP i keep on getting 4/5s in english lang and cant improve no matter how hard i try, with only 50 days left how can i get my grade to go from 4/5 to 6/7. i watch Mr salles videos but still highest I've ever achieved is a 5

PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE
Reply 1
Ask your teacher on how to improve your work, do a paper and then give it to your teacher with the improvements done. Keep repeating. You can also get a tutor if you don't want to bother your tutor, they'll do the exact same thing with more detailed feedback.
Original post by aisima
hello, I NEED HELPP i keep on getting 4/5s in english lang and cant improve no matter how hard i try, with only 50 days left how can i get my grade to go from 4/5 to 6/7. i watch Mr salles videos but still highest I've ever achieved is a 5

PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE

hey! im not sure if this will be much help, I'm a year 11 getting around a grade 7/8 in English language and I would recommend you watch videos on top tips for each question, then do some practise questions and then ask your teacher to mark them, and keep doing this until you improve!
Reply 3
Original post by KatieMcF
hey! im not sure if this will be much help, I'm a year 11 getting around a grade 7/8 in English language and I would recommend you watch videos on top tips for each question, then do some practise questions and then ask your teacher to mark them, and keep doing this until you improve!

can u pls tell me any yt channels u use for the "top tips"
Reply 4
Original post by aisima

Me too!
Original post by aisima

Mr bruff, cares class or just type In, in YouTube which question you need help on and it should come up!
Original post by Batek
Me too!

Mr bruff, cares class or just type In, in YouTube which question you need help on and it should come up!
Original post by aisima

PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE

Heya! I know it's stressful when you can't seem to get better marks but don't panic too much! There's still time for you to improve! Have you looked at your revision technique, perhaps your current revision technique might be not effective for this subject so perhaps try another one and see if it suits you better, everyone has their own unique revision styles :smile:

Have you talked to your teachers about how you can improve? Usually if you ask your teacher they might give you advice on what went wrong with your mocks/exams and how you can improve :smile: First step to improving is understanding what went wrong afterall and improving from there! You can also do past papers and compare your answers to mark scheme and identify your weak points, then for revision work on your weak points and make them your strong points!

Have you also considered 1-1 tutoring? If you want I could recommend Study Mind where you can get a free consultation and then get your 1-1 tutor to help you improve your marks for English Language, 1-1 tutors do make a big difference if you seem to be stuck in one place unable to improve , here is the link : https://www.studymind.co.uk/gcse-english-language-tutors/ . If you have any questions just drop our team a message and we'll be able to help you!
Hope this is helpful and good luck on your exam!
Milena G.
Study Mind
Reply 8
Original post by KatieMcF

thank u so much
Hi;
I'm currently in Y12 doing a levels (chem, bio & psych). In GCSE Eng lang I achieved a grade 9 albeit in y11 I was getting mostly 7s consistently. The most helpful thing for me was definitely getting a. English tutor - I changed tutor in Y10, that was probably the best decision I made in terms of improving my grade as the new tutor was much more helpful as she gave homework consistently AND marked it with really detailed feedback.

Additionally; I encourage you to really broaden your vocabulary as this is even more crucial in Eng Lang than in Lit. Knowing how to structure your Q1-4 answers will also help you not to lose any potential marks. Finally for your Q5 writing piece , I would choose the description rather than the story as it allows for the use of more ambitious vocabulary and it's structure is not so rigid compared to the story.
For the whole of Language Paper 1; I only lost 5 marks (75/80).
Good Luck ! :wink:). - Feel free to message me for any help or notes/ writing examples - I still have a bunch of my old essays .
Hi;
I'm currently a Y12 student doing A - levels (chem, bio & psych). In my English Language GCSE I achieved a grade 9. I only lost 5 marks on my English paper 1 - achieving an overall mark of 75/80.
The greatest help was getting a good English tutor -, I changed tutor and I foundit immensely helpful as she provided very detailed feedback and homework every week AND ACTUALLY MARKED IT!. Need I stress more about the importance of feedback for your writing? .
Additionally fir Q1-4 ; the most important thing you need to know is structure in order to maxise your marks. In terms of Q5 ; am ambitious vocabulary is everything, I would encourage you to choose a description rather than a narrative inorder to maximize your use of vocab. ( to improve vocab I would try making lists of synonyms). - also vocab is of paramount importance in Lang - even more so than in Lit.
If you need any more help - feel free to message me; I can also help you with feedback and send you ny old essays which I scored highly on fir recerevce - I have a bunch of them.
Good Luck!
omg sorry there are so many typos 😭😭
are u available I desperately need help pls
Original post by Student21065
Hi;
I'm currently in Y12 doing a levels (chem, bio & psych). In GCSE Eng lang I achieved a grade 9 albeit in y11 I was getting mostly 7s consistently. The most helpful thing for me was definitely getting a. English tutor - I changed tutor in Y10, that was probably the best decision I made in terms of improving my grade as the new tutor was much more helpful as she gave homework consistently AND marked it with really detailed feedback.

Additionally; I encourage you to really broaden your vocabulary as this is even more crucial in Eng Lang than in Lit. Knowing how to structure your Q1-4 answers will also help you not to lose any potential marks. Finally for your Q5 writing piece , I would choose the description rather than the story as it allows for the use of more ambitious vocabulary and it's structure is not so rigid compared to the story.
Good Luck ! :wink:). - Feel free to message me for any help or notes/ writing examples - I still have a bunch of my old essays .

are u able to help me please
Reply 14
Hi;

was ur tutor online or in-person, if it was online can u pls send me the info ( i pmed u this but i assume u didn't receive it)
Hi;
I'm currently a Y12 student doing A - levels (chem, bio & psych). In my English Language GCSE I achieved a grade 9. I only lost 5 marks on my English paper 1 - achieving an overall mark of 75/80.
The greatest help was getting a good English tutor -, I changed tutor and I foundit immensely helpful as she provided very detailed feedback and homework every week AND ACTUALLY MARKED IT!. Need I stress more about the importance of feedback for your writing? .
Additionally fir Q1-4 ; the most important thing you need to know is structure in order to maxise your marks. In terms of Q5 ; am ambitious vocabulary is everything, I would encourage you to choose a description rather than a narrative inorder to maximize your use of vocab. ( to improve vocab I would try making lists of synonyms). - also vocab is of paramount importance in Lang - even more so than in Lit.
If you need any more help - feel free to message me; I can also help you with feedback and send you ny old essays which I scored highly on fir recerevce - I have a bunch of them.
Good Luck!

hi could i see some of your old essays. that would be so helpful xx
Reply 16
Original post by blahblah12#
hi could i see some of your old essays. that would be so helpful xx

i want to see some tooooooooo
Reply 17
can i see some of your essays too pls

Quick Reply

Latest