The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Chem Paper 1 Advanced Inorganic and Physical Chemistry [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TypicalNerd
Halides (e.g. Cl^-) lose electrons to form halogens (e.g Cl2) when they react with sufficiently strong oxidising agents. Thus they are reducing agents because they reduce the oxidising agent.

omg i never knew that it was the ion which was called an halide, wtf how have i done 5 years of chemistry... thank you smm!!!!
Reply 41
also how much shou;ld we aim for in paper 1 to secure an A ?
Original post by kettle02
also how much shou;ld we aim for in paper 1 to secure an A ?

It’s impossible to know.

I’d say you want to average 70% across each paper to be reasonably confident of an A. Therefore, you could absolutely c0ck up paper 1 and get like 30%, but ace papers 2 and 3 (i.e get 90ish % across both) and still get an A.
Reply 43
I'm dreading this so much I was doing acid-base equilibria questions earlier and just struggling; why does every question have something different about it that requires a new freaking rule?!?!!!
Original post by arls99
I'm dreading this so much I was doing acid-base equilibria questions earlier and just struggling; why does every question have something different about it that requires a new freaking rule?!?!!!

Ik right how much are we actually meant to know cause there’s like 8 equations on the chem revise
Reply 45
any predicted topics??
Original post by user927401
any predicted topics??

I think 2 , 4 , equilibrium , born haber, electrochemical cells and transition metals heaveiest topics
Reply 47
Did anyone else find 2021 paper 1 more challenging than the other paper 1s?
Original post by Pxnyl_
Did anyone else find 2021 paper 1 more challenging than the other paper 1s?

No, actually. I thought it was much easier than the others.

I honestly thought 2017 and 2022 were the hardest two.
Reply 49
No, actually. I thought it was much easier than the others.

I honestly thought 2017 and 2022 were the hardest two.

Yeah 2022 was quite difficult, especially paper 3 imo. Do you think they might go for an easier paper this year?
Original post by Pxnyl_
Yeah 2022 was quite difficult, especially paper 3 imo. Do you think they might go for an easier paper this year?

I doubt they will actively try to make the papers easier this year. I also doubt they’ll actively try to make the papers nigh impossible either, as ridiculously high or ridiculously low grade boundaries would make their chemistry course look bad.
Reply 51
I doubt they will actively try to make the papers easier this year. I also doubt they’ll actively try to make the papers nigh impossible either, as ridiculously high or ridiculously low grade boundaries would make their chemistry course look bad.

Okay yeah that makes sense, I think it's my pre-exam stress that's kicking in I feel so so unprepared :s-smilie:
Original post by Pxnyl_
Okay yeah that makes sense, I think it's my pre-exam stress that's kicking in I feel so so unprepared :s-smilie:

That happens to almost everyone. If you’ve done all the new spec past papers for Edexcel and gone over your worst topics and understood why your mistakes have lost you marks, then that is good preparation as it is.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 53
transition metals are such a bore it acc makes me fall asleep but watch them fill up 3 pages with it
what do I do to prepare I’ve finished the past papers long ago and I’m confused on small parts of multiple topics I need an A * in this paper any tips ?
Original post by 3ASTARSINSHALLAH
what do I do to prepare I’ve finished the past papers long ago and I’m confused on small parts of multiple topics I need an A * in this paper any tips ?

Have you tried the papers by other exam boards
Have you tried the papers by other exam boards

I’ve done a few aqa exam papers here and there throughout the year but the problem is I have 3 exams next week and I’m forgetting things and making the stupidest mistakes for some reason
Original post by 3ASTARSINSHALLAH
I’ve done a few aqa exam papers here and there throughout the year but the problem is I have 3 exams next week and I’m forgetting things and making the stupidest mistakes for some reason

Find a paper you haven’t yet tried and attempt it, but use a highlighter to highlight important information in the question to keep track of it.

See how much better you end up doing.
Find a paper you haven’t yet tried and attempt it, but use a highlighter to highlight important information in the question to keep track of it.

See how much better you end up doing.

I’ll try it out now will let you know if it goes well !
Reply 59
how is everyone planning to revise tomorrow? should i focus on recapping all the content or just keep doing questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending