The Student Room Group

Is it legal for me to record telephone appointment with GP

I don’t have a very good relationship with my GP and have a phone call review coming up, she has put malicious things in my record to do with my mental health, the way she gaslights my issues & want to protect myself.
My questions are would she know I’m recording conversation on phone? Also is it legal for me to do so without her knowledge. I’m in the UK.
all of your previous phone consultations should be recorded on their end so if you wwant to tAke it up consult a lawyer and see if they can provide you with it? idk if its legal but if you record it on another device theres no way for her to know
Just checked, it is legal as long as you dont post it online
Original post by Anonymous
all of your previous phone consultations should be recorded on their end so if you wwant to tAke it up consult a lawyer and see if they can provide you with it? idk if its legal but if you record it on another device theres no way for her to know

Unfortunately most of my previous appointments were face to face, that’s good to know it’s legal, I’d just like to be sure there’s noway she would know it’s being recorded as I feel it could cause a risk of me being stopped receiving treatment from that GP surgery or possibly treated even worse
Unfortunately most of my previous appointments were face to face, that’s good to know it’s legal, I’d just like to be sure there’s noway she would know it’s being recorded as I feel it could cause a risk of me being stopped receiving treatment from that GP surgery or possibly treated even worse

if you record it on another device like your parents or friends phone or your computer then theres absolutely no way for her to know :smile: however im not sure whether itd be admissible as evidence or whatever ie if you wanted to sue her or something idk if you can use it if she doesnt know youre recording it
if you record it on another device like your parents or friends phone or your computer then theres absolutely no way for her to know :smile: however im not sure whether itd be admissible as evidence or whatever ie if you wanted to sue her or something idk if you can use it if she doesnt know youre recording it

I was more looking to use a call recording app on my phone
im not sure then but i wouldn't recommend just in case. is there no way for you to get hold of another device?
im not sure then but i wouldn't recommend just in case. is there no way for you to get hold of another device?

I’d like it to be on my phone as it’s very private matter, wouldn’t want it on anyone else phone
oh i see. well the problem is that if she doesnt know youre recording it, you wont be able to share the info with a third party like a lawyer. so either ask her if you can record it, if she says no thats suspicious, however if she says yes she might not treat you badly like she did before so its a difficult one. i would go down a different route. have you recieved letters that show that youve been treated wrongly? have your previous gp appointments been voice recorded?
Reply 9
If your relationship is so bad as to need to do this, it’s time to change your doctor
Generally it's only legal (and more importantly, admissible as evidence in court) if all participants are aware of the recording and consent to it. So you will need to say clearly at the start of the call "I would like to record this call, are you happy for me to do so?" and then if they say yes you can start the recording. If they say no then you shouldn't.

As noted if you can't trust your GP you should just find another GP. That said, GPs do not generally act maliciously (in fact, non-malfeasance is a cornerstone of medical ethics). So you may want to consider whether the reason she put that in your records was because she believed it was in your best interests to have it noted.

I'd also point out that a GP has a lot more to lose than you do for putting something "malicious" in your medical records, so even if they were unethical, it would not make any sense practically for them to do so - it's a much bigger problem for them if they get referred to the GMC or investigated by the police (even if they aren't indicted in either case). So again - is it really because they were being malicious, or was it because you disagreed with their clinical reasoning and are unhappy with the outcome?

You may want to actually talk to your GP about your feelings regarding the relationship and why you feel this way, as she may be able to explain exactly why she did what you purported (or even if she did - you may have the wrong end of the stick and nothing was ever noted on your medical record). I very strongly suspect the reality of the situation may be a bit different to what you are thinking it is, and talking that through may be more productive than attempting to launch legal action against her (as if it ends up being baseless and/or the court sides with her, you could end up in a very bad position financially, to say the least).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Generally it's only legal (and more importantly, admissible as evidence in court) if all participants are aware of the recording and consent to it. So you will need to say clearly at the start of the call "I would like to record this call, are you happy for me to do so?" and then if they say yes you can start the recording. If they say no then you shouldn't.

As noted if you can't trust your GP you should just find another GP. That said, GPs do not generally act maliciously (in fact, non-malfeasance is a cornerstone of medical ethics). So you may want to consider whether the reason she put that in your records was because she believed it was in your best interests to have it noted.

I'd also point out that a GP has a lot more to lose than you do for putting something "malicious" in your medical records, so even if they were unethical, it would not make any sense practically for them to do so - it's a much bigger problem for them if they get referred to the GMC or investigated by the police (even if they aren't indicted in either case). So again - is it really because they were being malicious, or was it because you disagreed with their clinical reasoning and are unhappy with the outcome?

You may want to actually talk to your GP about your feelings regarding the relationship and why you feel this way, as she may be able to explain exactly why she did what you purported (or even if she did - you may have the wrong end of the stick and nothing was ever noted on your medical record). I very strongly suspect the reality of the situation may be a bit different to what you are thinking it is, and talking that through may be more productive than attempting to launch legal action against her (as if it ends up being baseless and/or the court sides with her, you could end up in a very bad position financially, to say the least).

I disagree with your point a little (no offence), patient doctor problems are definitely real. I know for a fact I had a very bad relationship with my psychiatrist and she underplayed my problems a lot and put me on wrong medication. It definitely does happen. And the patient should always trust their gut.
I disagree with your point a little (no offence), patient doctor problems are definitely real. I know for a fact I had a very bad relationship with my psychiatrist and she underplayed my problems a lot and put me on wrong medication. It definitely does happen. And the patient should always trust their gut.

I'm saying that your assertion that it was done "maliciously" is unrealistic and quite likely wrong.

There certainly can be issues in the patient-doctor relationship - a breakdown in communication between them being a major one. But considering that the average GP is responsible for 2000 patients, going out of their way to maliciously act towards one of them is just somewhat ridiculous a notion. Bordering on narcissistic really - after all, what makes you that much more special than the other 1999 patients they are responsible for that they will go out of their way to act with malice and to jeopardise their career over it?

From any rational point of view it simply doesn't make sense. Although I suspect your beliefs of persecution by your GP may be related to what you are being treated for...I think the issue, again, is not that she did something malicious but that you perceive it as such and it is affecting your relationship with her. Therefore simply talking it through (without the threat of recording it...) would likely help a great deal so you can understand what she did and why.
(edited 1 year ago)

I agree, I know my relationship with her and she is passive aggressive towards me and talks to me like a confused child, very condescending too. She threatened stopping one of my medications when I was disagreeing with her on some of my symptoms, she really does not like to be challenged on anything and seeks control. She is very pushy and severely lacks empathy. She has ruined my medical record twisting things and it is malicious as I know our interactions, we always seem to debate as she won’t listen to me and downplays my symptoms. I can easily see she does not like me, it’s on her tone, aggressive body language & in her notes on me. GPs like this should not be getting away with this behaviour. I am trying to not see her but have a medication review coming up and she’s been the one seeing me. I had message from her to book a review.

Quick Reply

Latest