The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Economics A Paper 3 (9ECO 03) - 5th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sooshi
like regulation of monopolies? but that was kiiinda implied in the 25 marker in paper 1 about the energy prices but idk

Yeah this is what I thought too. I wouldn't really enjoy a 25 marker about monopoly regulation but I guess I'd do a point about price/profit capping.
Hey everybody, how did the exam go this morning? :smile:

Edexcel A-level Economics

Reply 62
Ran out of time my grade is ****ed💀
Reply 63
How did everyone do? Can’t lie I think it went worse than paper 1 and paper 2 but not like terrible

Original post by malymole1
Ran out of time my grade is ****ed💀
Please tell me if I messed up or not for the second 12 marker

P1) limit pricing + I also draw a cost/rev diagram
E1) however illegal firms can get fined up to 10% and worsen their brand image damaging sales

P2) Loyalty cards (used Tesco as application and how cafe can implement the same strategy)

E2) however high street retailers suggest a monopolistic competition therefore they may not be able to maintain this in the long run ( I also did a long run monopolistic competition diagram)
Reply 65
I only wrote 1 micro points and one macro point and a **** conclusion
Reply 66
it was actually quite good ngl, i ran out of time for a judgement though for one of the 25 markers unfortunately and had to forgo a bit of an 8 marker. other than that beter than expected
Reply 67
Original post by KaylaAllen
How did everyone do? Can’t lie I think it went worse than paper 1 and paper 2 but not like terrible

I was able to barely finish it, but I do think it went worse than paper 1 and 2. Some others said that they thought this was the easiest paper, which really confused me
Reply 68
Original post by gogetter2k19
Please tell me if I messed up or not for the second 12 marker

P1) limit pricing + I also draw a cost/rev diagram
E1) however illegal firms can get fined up to 10% and worsen their brand image damaging sales

P2) Loyalty cards (used Tesco as application and how cafe can implement the same strategy)

E2) however high street retailers suggest a monopolistic competition therefore they may not be able to maintain this in the long run ( I also did a long run monopolistic competition diagram)

They are good points. Wish I had gotten your loyalty one

I spoke about collusion for pricing strategies and non pricing is innovation- it spoke about it in the extract.
Reply 69
Original post by raj2701
They are good points. Wish I had gotten your loyalty one

I spoke about collusion for pricing strategies and non pricing is innovation- it spoke about it in the extract.

I said collusion too because they have price setting power
did anyone do the firrst 25 marker for the last one
Reply 71
Original post by 12tkwjehvu65
did anyone do the firrst 25 marker for the last one

I did the falling housing prices one
Reply 72
Same I said negative wealth affect and my micro point was improved geographicall immobility of labour

Original post by EleaB
Reply 73
Same. What did you write for macro and micro point + eval?

Original post by EleaB
Reply 74
Original post by IRCC_222
Same I said negative wealth affect and my micro point was improved geographicall immobility of labour

You mean worse geographical immobility of labour?? Why would it be better? And for macro I talked about decrease investment and consumption due to fall in confidence. How did you evaluate it?
For the 2nd 25 marker I did labour shortages

My points were

P1) macro worsened current account as output falls LRAS shifts in prices increase more expensive exports -> less competitive -> worsened current account of balance of payments

E1) J curve as this will only have a long term effect for example foreign firms may be in contracts with UK firms and cannot switch, exports inelastic in short run however elastic in long run, which means current account may not worsen in the short run

P2) higher prices for consumers as production falls due to a shortage of labour -> higher output per unit cost -> causing firms like Maryland (biscuit company) to ration prices and as excess demand -> therefore higher prices for consumers

E2) however most processes are automated by machinery and Mary land may be exploiting technical economies of scale meaning labour shortage may not cause prices to increase. I also used current news such as AI advancements and how BT is cutting down over 20% of jobs as they are going to be automated meaning labour may not have an effect on prices anymore.
Reply 76
Original post by Philipp459
You mean worse geographical immobility of labour?? Why would it be better? And for macro I talked about decrease investment and consumption due to fall in confidence. How did you evaluate it?

Improved because housing is more accessible
Reply 77
Original post by Philipp459
Same. What did you write for macro and micro point + eval?

For macro I wrote about the changes in AD due to investment and consumption dropping for house-owners, leading to deflation. Eval was how falling in price level is likely to be desired since there's super high inflation right now.
Less confident about my micro point, but I spoke about increasing borrowing for house buyers and this would lead to debt and opportunity costs. Eval was how mortgage lenders are withdrawing deals or something which means that borrowers are unable to access the finance to purchase a house
for micro for falling house prices i talked about the impact on the subtlstityte market of renting xed etc, us that okay?
Reply 79
Original post by 12tkwjehvu65
for micro for falling house prices i talked about the impact on the subtlstityte market of renting xed etc, us that okay?

Substitute. But yeah sounds like a pretty solid point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending