The Student Room Group

I can't stand the fact the weather is getting 'nicer'

For context I live in the UK but am currently on holiday for a week somewhere with a similar climate but the weather is just picking up a bit quicker.

I've never been a huge warm weather person, I like the variety in weather of the UK and my favourite seasons have always been spring and autumn but I do normally appreciate a bit of sun and warmth, after all I did previously live in the Middle East for a while.

But right now the weather is just making me sooooo anxious and I can't bear it at all. Like I really don't like the feeling of having to walk around exposed, I much prefer to walk around hidden in 3 layers and 2 hoods, idk it's not a body image thing I don't really care how I look and no one around me does I just don't really like the feeling of being exposed. I think also I always like to wear minimum a hoodie/jumper otherwise I'm worried that my bo will smell really strong even though I'm really careful to wear deodorant etc.

And there's just something about the atmosphere when the weather is 'nice', everyone is outside having a good time and it makes me feel so anxious and out of place and self conscious. I also feel more guilty when I'm not outside/have no reason to be because I'm 'meant' to be outside in this weather and it's this endless spiral.

Also one other really dumb thing (and I want to stress this is entirely my problem and not the fault of anyone else) but when I am outside I find it so difficult not to stare at other attractive people, I know I shouldn't do it because it's weird and creepy af and I put literally every braincell of effort into not doing it but it's so hard to stop myself.
Most of this is a mood lmao. Even though I was literally born in latinamerica and lived there until 2nd grade, I can no longer stand such hot weather. I hate it. I hate feeling hot, I hate feeling sweaty, the sun hurts my eyes, and argh I hate that there's nothing you can do about it except cope and wait until autumn because what are you gonna do? Walk around naked?!. No thanks. I also much prefer wearing jumpers and coats and feeling cozy which you can't do in summer.

Something that's helped me with the clothing aspect is buying some cute summer clothes and coming up with outfits that I actually like that I can wear when it's hot. Idk if you're a guy, gal or pal, but I like wearing crop tops with short sleeved button up shirts over to give the illusion of layering without actually adding any extra warmth.

With the bo thing, there's not much that you can do except make sure you shower everyday and put on some good deodorant. Maybe carry deodorant around with you and reapply when you think you need it. Also maybe find a perfume/cologne you like to wear as well? That might help make you feel less conscious about it.

And I can totally relate with the anxiety around nice weather meaning that you have to be in a good mood. Sometimes I dissociate when I'm outside and it's sunny (probably to do with my sensory overload issues tbh) which makes me feel weirdly numb and extremely out of place.

About your last point... idrk what to tell you. Ig it is normal to find other people attractive and want to look at them, but there is a line you have to not cross. Maybe try to distract yourself with your phone or something.

Quick Reply

Latest