The Student Room Group

Worrying about studying makes me worried about everything else

Does anyone else find that stress about studying triggers other anxieties? Like I find when I'm worried about being behind on work and feel overwhelmed about that I start worrying about loads of other things and then I am even more overwhelmed I don't know what to do to stop this.
Yes! Whenever I get stressed about coursework or exams I start stressing about my future, get anxiety over eating (or stress eat and then feel guilty about it lol), start noticing all my flaws etc. and get frustrated and overwhelmed. You're not the only one dw.

What I've found helps is writing down all the things that are bothering me and separating them into things I can do something about now, and things that I can't feasibly deal with rn. Then I make a plan as to how I'm going to tackle all the tasks that are overwhelming me and I list them in order of urgency. Then I talk myself out of thinking about the other stuff by asking questions that ground me. As if I was talking to someone else. Like, I literally talk to myself and answer my own Qs as if I was trying to calm somebody else down to dissect my feelings and figure out whether they're a) true b) helpful at this present moment and c) what I can do to deal with them. Sometimes meditation helps if I start stressing about the future. Sometimes making myself a small snack. Other times positive affirmations help if it's my flaws I'm stressing about. But honestly, it's the writing it down part that really helps me a lot.

You're not alone. And you've got this. Good luck with exams!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest