The Student Room Group

Balancing mental health with life

I'm autistic, and I'm at a point where I can't really function independently. I can't eat or do other basic self-care things, I can't talk, I can't leave my room, and I could really benefit from some supervision to be honest. In an ideal world I would go home and get support, but I have uni exams soon and we can't get any mitigation for existing conditions since "reasonable adjustments cover those" (they don't, being allowed to wear earplugs isn't going to fix my current overwhelming anxiety, constant meltdowns, and complete inability to care for myself...).

What are you meant to do in this situation? If I don't stay I'll fail and get kicked off my course, but if I do stay it'll be at least 2 months before I can get any help and things are getting worse every day. I'm not in the position mentally to be making decisions with such big potential consequences.

(I'd discuss this with my uni wellbeing team, but there is no way to interact with them over email alone, you can only set up a verbal meeting, which is useless to me since I can't talk at the minute. Same with the GP, and all the other support services I know.)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm autistic, and I'm at a point where I can't really function independently. I can't eat or do other basic self-care things, I can't talk, I can't leave my room, and I could really benefit from some supervision to be honest. In an ideal world I would go home and get support, but I have uni exams soon and we can't get any mitigation for existing conditions since "reasonable adjustments cover those" (they don't, being allowed to wear earplugs isn't going to fix my current overwhelming anxiety, constant meltdowns, and complete inability to care for myself...).

What are you meant to do in this situation? If I don't stay I'll fail and get kicked off my course, but if I do stay it'll be at least 2 months before I can get any help and things are getting worse every day. I'm not in the position mentally to be making decisions with such big potential consequences.

(I'd discuss this with my uni wellbeing team, but there is no way to interact with them over email alone, you can only set up a verbal meeting, which is useless to me since I can't talk at the minute. Same with the GP, and all the other support services I know.)

Perhaps contact them via email initially, explaining that you are in a bit of a crisis, including being non-verbal. Might be a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest