The Student Room Group

Work sickness dilemma

Please help. I'm just after other people's opinions on what you'd do.

Background:
I've been signed off work a few months and have had long absences of sickness over the years due to poor mental health. I think I've concluded during my current absence that returning to my current job will unlikely improve my health. There are lots of issues in this team which I have raised over and over during the years I've been there, but they never get resolved and I don't trust they ever will.

My dilemma is around leaving. I've got a few months still where I'll continue to be paid my salary. Do I take the sick pay and leave the job when pay becomes nil pay? Or do I leave my employment sooner considering I don't think the role will ever improve my health?

Now, with mental health still unfortunately feeling like a taboo subject, part of me just thinks life is too short to care anymore. My boss knows my concerns and I've continuously raised them and nothing changes. Part of me thinks screw being moral, considering I feel I've done my part, over and above, to try and fix the problems, but ultimately I've done all I can, it's out of my control, and the lack of change makes my health worse, and comes back around to thoughts of just I'll take the sick pay then leave.

I have been (and continue to) applying for more suitable roles for me but so far without success.

Would I be a complete douchbag to take the sick pay without intention of returning, then quit once pay stops?! What would you do?!
Original post by Anonymous
Please help. I'm just after other people's opinions on what you'd do.

Background:
I've been signed off work a few months and have had long absences of sickness over the years due to poor mental health. I think I've concluded during my current absence that returning to my current job will unlikely improve my health. There are lots of issues in this team which I have raised over and over during the years I've been there, but they never get resolved and I don't trust they ever will.

My dilemma is around leaving. I've got a few months still where I'll continue to be paid my salary. Do I take the sick pay and leave the job when pay becomes nil pay? Or do I leave my employment sooner considering I don't think the role will ever improve my health?

Now, with mental health still unfortunately feeling like a taboo subject, part of me just thinks life is too short to care anymore. My boss knows my concerns and I've continuously raised them and nothing changes. Part of me thinks screw being moral, considering I feel I've done my part, over and above, to try and fix the problems, but ultimately I've done all I can, it's out of my control, and the lack of change makes my health worse, and comes back around to thoughts of just I'll take the sick pay then leave.

I have been (and continue to) applying for more suitable roles for me but so far without success.

Would I be a complete douchbag to take the sick pay without intention of returning, then quit once pay stops?! What would you do?!

I would suggest that you continue with things at your current employer until such time you'll be paid but before that situation arises you should try and get another job in place before you give your current employer your letter of leaving.
They have a legal obligation to support you in another role within the company and if that's not suitable for you then they have the option to dismiss you due to you not being able to fulfil your contract with them.
See what happens with other options for you to continue working with your employer and this will give you time to hopefully find something else before your sick pay runs out. Although you'll not be paid by your employer you will be able to claim sickness money from the DWP with filling out the necessary paper and sending them sick lines.

Hopefully you'll find something that will suit you without affecting your health okay. Remember that your mental health/ health issues comes first and foremost.

Quick Reply

Latest