The Student Room Group

I don’t know if I’m smart enough for university

I set myself high standards, in my National 5s I got all As, did my Highers and considerably worse; just enough to apply for universities that offer my course.
This year and doing advanced Highers? It’s making me really doubt myself. It’s like I’ve been slowly dropping off. I’ve been trying to be nice to myself and reminding myself that it’s been hard and that things would be different if I had been medicated sooner ( I get really bad blinding cluster migraines )

I love school, I love biology and chemistry. It sucks so bad not being good at the things you enjoy.
I’ve been ranting and raving about how much I can’t wait to do my masters and PHD but in all honesty I don’t know if I’ll even get there at this rate.
I just really hope it gets better, that I’ll find my footing at some point hopefully. Needless to say I’m feeling pretty anxious and nervous about it all and my exams even though I’ve already firmed my offer.
My years of being an academic weapon are over 😔✋
Original post by Anonymous
I set myself high standards, in my National 5s I got all As, did my Highers and considerably worse; just enough to apply for universities that offer my course.
This year and doing advanced Highers? It’s making me really doubt myself. It’s like I’ve been slowly dropping off. I’ve been trying to be nice to myself and reminding myself that it’s been hard and that things would be different if I had been medicated sooner ( I get really bad blinding cluster migraines )

I love school, I love biology and chemistry. It sucks so bad not being good at the things you enjoy.
I’ve been ranting and raving about how much I can’t wait to do my masters and PHD but in all honesty I don’t know if I’ll even get there at this rate.
I just really hope it gets better, that I’ll find my footing at some point hopefully. Needless to say I’m feeling pretty anxious and nervous about it all and my exams even though I’ve already firmed my offer.
My years of being an academic weapon are over 😔✋

Is there a tutor or teacher you can speak to about this? They will know you as a student and give you some good advice as they’ve seen countless students go through the same thing, and maybe even themselves too! I’m sure if you tell them how you feel, they will offer you some worthwhile help.

From the sounds of it though, you seem to have a lot of passion for your subjects as well as the ambition to study. These things will really help you persevere if things get tough, even now. A-Levels are the same as Highers right? In my first year of A-Level, my grades were considerably low. But I turned it into an opportunity to push myself to the highest I could get, even when it was quite a struggle. Now, I’m at university and I’m getting firsts consistently! So that’s just my experience.

It’s very easy to be knocked by low grades, especially if you’re not used to them. It’s bound to happen when you move up in education, so you won’t be alone. It doesn’t mean you’re not smart. It might mean you have to develop a different learning style.

It’s really up to you as to what you want to do, but it sounds like you have a real interest in studying these particular subjects, and sometimes high achieving students don’t have that same passion. As long as you think you can push yourself through getting some bad grades a few times, I think you will be able to adapt. University could even suit you better! You might have to just try.

Quick Reply

Latest