The Student Room Group

Scared of outside rowdy city world, I live at the front of my house

I live in a pretty rowdy city in the centre, I live on the front of our house my window is single glazed and I often hear scary things outside my window. The event that prompted me to come on here was that someone screamed 'I'm going to kill myself'.

I've been woken up by what sound like prostitutes screaming bloody murder that they're being chased or about to be raped, upon further listening it does sound like drama between (unfortunately) bad relationships / victims of drug abuse. I find it really scary and regret choosing the front room, I tried to switch with one of the boys I live with but they were too scared and said I chose it.

I'm moving out soon to somewhere further away from the centre but it's kind of scarred me and made me afraid. I know things happen everywhere especially in cities but I'm really sensitive and hate to hear people in such bad mental states. It really is frequent, men on what sounds like coke as well shouting their heads off. Anyone got any tips to calm my anxiety? Or if they've had a similar experience? Would just help to know I'm not alone or just some general advice on how to cope would be really appreciated - thanks so much guys!
Reply 1
Why haven't you phoned the police?
Original post by Surnia
Why haven't you phoned the police?

for every single thing they hear?
the police usually don't care as well
Earplugs until you move.
Reply 4
Original post by neckbite
for every single thing they hear?
the police usually don't care as well

What you've described are crimes, incidences of anti-social behaviour and someone in need of emergency help. Why wouldn't you call the police?
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
What you've described are crimes, incidences of anti-social behaviour and someone in need of emergency help. Why wouldn't you call the police?

These happen at like 3 or 4am in the morning. It wakes me up and it disappears down the road before I, a young girl can do anything about it.

I'm more just asking for my own mental health, because as you can imagine it is quite distressing to hear.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
These happen at like 3 or 4am in the morning. It wakes me up and it disappears down the road before I, a young girl can do anything about it.

I'm more just asking for my own mental health, because as you can imagine it is quite distressing to hear.

How 'young' a girl are you? Is this accomodation for uni or something, in which case you are mature enough to do something?

Quick Reply

Latest