The Student Room Group

help

Hi, I've had some personal issues which have affected my time in school. I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on how to learn and remember as much content as I can between now and the start of A levels. I do biology, chemistry and psychology. Please don't post anything negative about it being impossible, I am a quick learner, I just need some advice on how to efficiently get through as much of the specs as possible.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I've had some personal issues which have affected my time in school. I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on how to learn and remember as much content as I can between now and the start of A levels. I do biology, chemistry and psychology. Please don't post anything negative about it being impossible, I am a quick learner, I just need some advice on how to efficiently get through as much of the specs as possible.

i started learning new subjs at the start of this yr for gcses so idk if this can apply,, but i'd suggest u try revising one subj every day,,, like watch a bunch of yt vids n use websites (i used seneca for quick learning) which can help u learn the basics n try n do practice qs after. personally idk how bio n chem r but ik they're much harder at a-level so u should use freesciencelessons to learn everything u need as the vids r short but rly useful

+++ goodluck in ur a-levels ml <333333

Hi!

I'm currently a third year Psychology student at Lancaster, and for my A Levels, I did the same subjects as you are doing! One of my favourite quick revision strategies (which I did use at A-Level, and currently still use at university) involves looking at the information I'm trying to learn in small chunks, e.g., a paragraph, a powerpoint slide, a 2-page textbook spread, etc., covering it up, and writing out either on flashcards or as a mindmap the things I remember, without looking at the information. Once I've written down everything I can remember, I look at the information, and add any bits to the flashcard, mindmap, etc, in a different coloured pen. I then repeat the process until I've correctly managed to recall all or most of the information independently. I then move onto the next section, and do the same. But once I have succesfully recalled the next section, I go back to the first section I memorised and do another mindmap/flashcard on it, then do the same for the second one, and then start a new section. This way, the information I learn first stays fresh, as well as the new information I am learning.

I sometimes swap this strategy about a bit if there are sections I struggle with more than others. I make sure that I have more recall sessions for the topics that I struggle with, just so that I end up feeling more confident with them.

Whilst this works for me, I can't guarantee it will work for you, but you may be able to change things and make it work for you!

I hope this is helpful, and best of luck!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Hello, I am currently in a similar situation and no I don't think it's impossible. What I've found is helping is going by the specification and doing little chunks each day as the specs nicely break down each topic. I would recommend using the specs and making a revision timetable to help you get through everything in the next couple of weeks. In terms of revision for each of these topics that's whatever works best for you. Personally I like to make flashcards for everything and mindmaps too. Blurting is helpful once you've gone through a whole topic too. But most importantly do lots of practice past papers as questions across the years are very similar and then you can see which areas you are confident with and which areas need work. Hope this is helpful and good luck. :smile:
Reply 4
Hello, I am currently in a similar situation and no I don't think it's impossible. What I've found is helping is going by the specification and doing little chunks each day as the specs nicely break down each topic. I would recommend using the specs and making a revision timetable to help you get through everything in the next couple of weeks. In terms of revision for each of these topics that's whatever works best for you. Personally I like to make flashcards for everything and mindmaps too. Blurting is helpful once you've gone through a whole topic too. But most importantly do lots of practice past papers as questions across the years are very similar and then you can see which areas you are confident with and which areas need work. Hope this is helpful and good luck. :smile:

Thank you so much I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some tips and for the positivity :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

I'm currently a third year Psychology student at Lancaster, and for my A Levels, I did the same subjects as you are doing! One of my favourite quick revision strategies (which I did use at A-Level, and currently still use at university) involves looking at the information I'm trying to learn in small chunks, e.g., a paragraph, a powerpoint slide, a 2-page textbook spread, etc., covering it up, and writing out either on flashcards or as a mindmap the things I remember, without looking at the information. Once I've written down everything I can remember, I look at the information, and add any bits to the flashcard, mindmap, etc, in a different coloured pen. I then repeat the process until I've correctly managed to recall all or most of the information independently. I then move onto the next section, and do the same. But once I have succesfully recalled the next section, I go back to the first section I memorised and do another mindmap/flashcard on it, then do the same for the second one, and then start a new section. This way, the information I learn first stays fresh, as well as the new information I am learning.

I sometimes swap this strategy about a bit if there are sections I struggle with more than others. I make sure that I have more recall sessions for the topics that I struggle with, just so that I end up feeling more confident with them.

Whilst this works for me, I can't guarantee it will work for you, but you may be able to change things and make it work for you!

I hope this is helpful, and best of luck!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Wow. Thank you so much for your help, I really am grateful that you took the time to explain this. It’s really reassuring
Reply 6
Original post by mzzz_k
i started learning new subjs at the start of this yr for gcses so idk if this can apply,, but i'd suggest u try revising one subj every day,,, like watch a bunch of yt vids n use websites (i used seneca for quick learning) which can help u learn the basics n try n do practice qs after. personally idk how bio n chem r but ik they're much harder at a-level so u should use freesciencelessons to learn everything u need as the vids r short but rly useful

+++ goodluck in ur a-levels ml <333333

Thank you so much for your advice. Good luck to you too with your GCSE’s
Hey, literally in the same boat as you, but as a private student. doing all the same a levels. Haven’t started to revise yet due to circumstances. Also working full time. However I believe we’ll get thru this. Good luck wid your exams. Hope you get the grades you desire x

Quick Reply

Latest