The Student Room Group

If you done/doing a degree, what are the best books you recommend for your subject(s)

Not all books are created equal (or are particularly well written/deserve to be read), but there are often a number of good ones out there that should be read if someone were to take up your subject.

Just for a poll/out of interest, if people were to ask for recommended textbooks or books in general (depending on what you studied) for your subject at university, in your experience which books would you recommend? Please also specify your subject /degree for reference.

If you want to know my recommendations for my subjects, let me know as well.
Reply 1
Original post by MindMax2000
Not all books are created equal (or are particularly well written/deserve to be read), but there are often a number of good ones out there that should be read if someone were to take up your subject.

Just for a poll/out of interest, if people were to ask for recommended textbooks or books in general (depending on what you studied) for your subject at university, in your experience which books would you recommend? Please also specify your subject /degree for reference.

I can't make any recommendations yet, but I'd like to hear yours.
Original post by eturbyne52
I can't make any recommendations yet, but I'd like to hear yours.

OK. I take it you haven't done a degree yet.

Economics:

Basic Econometrics by Gujarati

Principles of Macroeconomics by Mankiw

Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis by Hammond, et al

Further Mathematics for Economic Analysis by Hammond, et al

Mathematics for Economics and Business by Jacques (if you have not covered A Level Maths or are just curious to see how maths is used in business and economics)

Schaum's Outline of Introduction to Mathematical Economics by Dowling

Finance:

Corporate Finance: Principles and Practice by Head and Watson

Schaum's Outline of Mathematics of Finance by Zima and Brown

Accounting:

Management and Cost Accounting by Drury

Quantitative Methods: for Business, Management and Finance by Swift and Piff (if you did not study discrete maths or statistics in A Level maths)

Fun reads:

A Random Walk Down Wall Street: Including a Life-Cycle Guide to Personal Investing by Burton Malkiel

The Undercover Economist by Harford

The Freakanomics series by Dubner and Levitt

Buffettology series by Buffett (the daughter-in law Mary, not Warren)

Made in America by Walton

The Intelligent Investor by Graham (some areas are rather dry, but it's a classic)

One up on Wall Street and Beating the Street by Lynch

A bunch of books by Malcolm Gladwell

Google: How Google Works by Schmidt

There's a long list of books in finance, economics, and business that I would also recommend for a fun read, but I would end up producing an essay.
(edited 12 months ago)

Hi @MindMax2000,

I’m a photography at Chester, and love finding the time to read! Some books I’ve found interesting and relevant to my studies are:

- The Minds Eye by Oliver Sacks
- Ways of Seeing by John Berger
- Art & Object-hood by Micheal Freid
- also, Why Photography Matters Now Than Ever Before by Micheal Freid

These books help put an insightful perspective into artistic creation and expression - learning the psyche behind a creative person helps develop my knowledge and work even further!

Some books I enjoy:

- Rupi Kaur (poetry/structured literature)
- One Day by Nicholls
- The Divergent Series & Hunger Games Trilogy

Its great looking at readings from both the creative and academic fields, also quite interesting!

All the best,
Ellie
Hey there,

I study Psychology, andI haven't got any personal recommendations really.. but the Psychology for dummies book series is really helpful. They cover most modules on a Psychology degree and can make things a bit more easier to understand.

That being said, my lecturers have said to still read the core textbooks provided just in case any information isn't up to date. I'd like to also add that any of the textbooks picked out by lecturers for core/further reading etc. are usually your best bet. The lecturers have normally read them inside out, as well as many other books so they recommend them for a reason, and it saves you time searching for the right textbook. I always ask lecturers for further readings as I know they'll be the most helpful for what I want too.

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep
Prior to coming to university, I shadowed a podiatrist.

They recommended: Neale's Disorders of the Foot and Ankle (now in its ninth edition!) edited by Gordon Burrow, Keith Rome and Nat Padhiar.

I read as much I could before starting university and it was so helpful!!!

It really gave me a leg-up (no pun intended)!

I would definitely recommend it for anyone wanting to pursue a degree in podiatry.

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hey,

I study Education, SEN and Mental health.
My top book recommendation would probably be Education Studies by Bartlett and Burton gives a really good general overview. Then I mostly just use E-books from my reading list.

Interested to hear your recommendations too.

Rebecca York St John University Student Ambassador
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hey,

I study Education, SEN and Mental health.
My top book recommendation would probably be Education Studies by Bartlett and Burton gives a really good general overview. Then I mostly just use E-books from my reading list.

Interested to hear your recommendations too.

Rebecca York St John University Student Ambassador

OK. I take it you haven't done a degree yet.

Economics:

Basic Econometrics by Gujarati

Principles of Macroeconomics by Mankiw

Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis by Hammond, et al

Further Mathematics for Economic Analysis by Hammond, et al

Mathematics for Economics and Business by Jacques (if you have not covered A Level Maths or are just curious to see how maths is used in business and economics)

Schaum's Outline of Introduction to Mathematical Economics by Dowling

Finance:

Corporate Finance: Principles and Practice by Head and Watson

Schaum's Outline of Mathematics of Finance by Zima and Brown

Accounting:

Management and Cost Accounting by Drury

Quantitative Methods: for Business, Management and Finance by Swift and Piff (if you did not study discrete maths or statistics in A Level maths)

Fun reads:

A Random Walk Down Wall Street: Including a Life-Cycle Guide to Personal Investing by Burton Malkiel

The Undercover Economist by Harford

The Freakanomics series by Dubner and Levitt

Buffettology series by Buffett (the daughter-in law Mary, not Warren)

Made in America by Walton

The Intelligent Investor by Graham (some areas are rather dry, but it's a classic)

One up on Wall Street and Beating the Street by Lynch

A bunch of books by Malcolm Gladwell

Google: How Google Works by Schmidt

There's a long list of books in finance, economics, and business that I would also recommend for a fun read, but I would end up producing an essay.

Thanks for replying @Rebecca YSJ.

See the above for my current recommendations.

I might be able to advise on books on physics, chemistry, maths, and engineering later.

Hello :smile: I am studying a Masters Degree in Psychology and recommend the following books. These books can be read before your psychology degree, during and after. :smile:
- Thematic Analysis A Practical Guide Braun & Clarke
- Holt, N., Bremner, A., Sutherland, E., Vliek, M., Passer, M. & Smith, R. (2019). Psychology,
the science of mind and behaviour (4
th ed.). McGraw Hill.
- Dancey, C.P., & Reidy, J. (2020). Statistics Without Maths for Psychology (6
th ed.).
- Willig, C. (2013). Introducing Qualitative Research in Psychology (3rd ed.).
- Carlson, N. R. (2017). Physiology of Behavior (12
th ed.).
- M.W., & Keane, M.T. (2020). Cognitive psychology: A student’s handbook (8
th ed.).
- Slater, A. & Bremner, G. (Eds.) (2017). An introduction to developmental
psychology (3
rd ed.).
- Maltby, J., Day, L., & Macaskill, A. (2017). Personality, individual differences and intelligence
(4
- Hogg, M.A. & Vaughan, G.M. (2017). Social Psychology (8
th ed.).

Hope this helps! :smile:
- Laura
The Book of F*cking Hilarious Internet Memes

Hello,

Everyone is aware of the massive number of not only books but articles and newspapers that are recommended for their course. Also, because of diving deeper into the course, different modules will have different recommended texts and as such any textbook for a course would only be the basics or foundation and textbooks can also change depending on one's level of understanding or system of education in their country. As I'm still in my first year, I would be giving recommended texts for modules I've done under Accounting and Finance Undergraduate course:

Business Law- Introduction to business law by Jones, Lucy
Economics- Essential economics for business by Sloman, John
Accounting- Business accounting and finance by Davies, Tony, Accounting for non-accounting student by Dyson, J.R

Ofcourse, they are a lot but these are the ones I found most useful.

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending