The Student Room Group

Architecture work experience

Hello, I’m a year 12 student and I’ve been looking for some work experience in person but keep on being rejected and I’m getting worried because I’m currently working on my personal statement and have nothing to talk about. I need some help on how either how to get one before September or other ways in order to still give me a good change into getting in architecture without work experience.
Hi,
While I don’t study architecture I am a student at Lancaster University and have friends that study architecture. For applying at lancaster you do not need any prior knowledge or experience in architecture just a passion for the subject which you can get across in your personal statement in other manners such as talking about work you admire or how what you have done in your Alevels could be applied to architecture. Additionally while he’s working experience is valuable it doesn’t have to be directly within architecture to be impressive to universities.
For example you could find some work experience
In a related field such as graphic design which may be easier to find and be successful in applying for. Another recommended I would have is to maybe enquire about purely shadowing an architect for a few days this will be enough to give you a feel for it and you can certainly talk about it in your personal statement or interviews. I wish you the best of luck in your applications and below have linked our architecture web page at Lancaster University.
I hope this helps,
Best wishes, Esme (Lancaster University student ambassador).
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/architecture-ba-hons-k100/
Original post by Chizee
Hello, I’m a year 12 student and I’ve been looking for some work experience in person but keep on being rejected and I’m getting worried because I’m currently working on my personal statement and have nothing to talk about. I need some help on how either how to get one before September or other ways in order to still give me a good change into getting in architecture without work experience.

It is quite hard to gain work experience with an architectural practice so don't stress if you can't. My son did manage it, but not many in his year at uni did. Keep trying though - ask smaller firms, ask for a day rather than a week, be flexible.

There are a few architecture personal statements on the following link to give you an idea of what previous applicants have included:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/architecture/

Do you visit galleries/museums in your spare time, have you visited any buildings that made a big impression on you? If so, describe your experiences, how did an exhibition/building make you feel. What do you do outside of school? How do your A levels tie in to architecture? Have you done any activities at school or in your free time that show you can work in a team (sports, DoE, shop work, etc) - you will be required to work in teams during your degree and be able to present your part in the project and then be critiqued.
Hi, I have been trying to look for some architecture work experience for quite a while anywhere near Swansea (e.g. Cardiff). This is to help me for my university application for architecture. However have not been able to find any work experience and am getting quite anxious
Original post by terrific-walk
Hi, I have been trying to look for some architecture work experience for quite a while anywhere near Swansea (e.g. Cardiff). This is to help me for my university application for architecture. However have not been able to find any work experience and am getting quite anxious

You don't need work experience for an architecture personal statement. Try to show your interest in your subject from any additional reading you have done, your interest in art/design outside of the school curriculum, etc.
do you know any good books on architecture?
Original post by terrific-walk
do you know any good books on architecture?

This is Cambridge's recommended list - just pick one or two:

https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/books-recommended-for-reading

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending