The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into Oxford Law?

So at Gcses I got 7 A*s, 3 As and 2 Bs(in Art and music). For context I was ranked 2nd in my cohort where only 45% of my cohort received 5+ grades 5-9. Others in the top 10 of my cohort acheived 5 or less A*s. I'm also from the 3rd worst performing Borough in London at gcses so I'm wondering how much contextualising will help me.

I'm currently predicted 4A*s at A level, and have consistently been getting 30+ in my Lnat. Do you think its worth applying to Oxford, or would it be smarter to go for Cambridge?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Michael125
So at Gcses I got 7 A*s, 3 As and 2 Bs(in Art and music). For context I was ranked 2nd in my cohort where only 45% of my cohort received 5+ grades 5-9. Others in the top 10 of my cohort acheived 5 or less A*s. I'm also from the 3rd worst performing Borough in London at gcses so I'm wondering how much contextualising will help me.

I'm currently predicted 4A*s at A level, and have consistently been getting 30+ in my Lnat. Do you think its worth applying to Oxford, or would it be smarter to go for Cambridge?

Any employer is impressed with an Oxbridge Law degree anyway.

You would stand a chance with your stats, though a super curricular would be good to show your passion for Law. Also, what subjects do you take?

I would say look into the area of both universities though and look into where you'd physically rather stay, as both are exceptional universities and it would be silly to look at one for purely being ranked one above the other. So it wouldn't be "smarter" to go for Cambridge unless you think it truly clicks with you. I recommend visiting both places to find out though.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by elemenohpee
Any employer is impressed with an Oxbridge Law degree anyway.

You would stand a chance with your stats, though a super curricular would be good to show your passion for Law. Also, what subjects do you take?

I would say look into the area of both universities though and look into where you'd physically rather stay, as both are exceptional universities and it would be silly to look at one for purely being ranked one above the other. So it wouldn't be "smarter" to go for Cambridge unless you think it truly clicks with you. I recommend visiting both places to find out though.

Good luck!

Currently I study English Literature, Pyschology, Economics and Maths A level.

I've read quite a few books, participated in many mock trial competitions, completed research projects on different laws like tort law, and also attended study days at Oxford for law. Would you recommend anything else?
Original post by Michael125
Currently I study English Literature, Pyschology, Economics and Maths A level.

I've read quite a few books, participated in many mock trial competitions, completed research projects on different laws like tort law, and also attended study days at Oxford for law. Would you recommend anything else?

Ooh, you have a lot of good supercurriculars there! I don't really have anything else to add, but just make sure those grades are good and you're on your way! I would recommend Oxford though as your study days attended already show me an interest in the school. Now, keep on practising your LNAT though your score looks excellent, to be honest, and know what you're doing for your interview because that is a key factor.

The good thing is you don't actually need to be well-rounded and it's clear with your A-levels and profile what you're interested in - which is Law. It might be good to get some work experience with a firm, and also sit in on a few public trials so you can mention them in your Personal Statement as that'll give you something to talk about in terms of why you want to do Law in the first place.

Best of luck!
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending