The Student Room Group

Anyone having a longstanding problem of insomnia?

Helpless. Don't want to queue up for NHS as that will take years. Counsellors don't seem helpful.
yeah.. i had sleeping issues since i was maybe 7? there’s little they do to try and help unfortunately. what i found helps me is trying to stay off phone for at least 1hr before bed, at around same time everyday, instead go read books or something. my sleep is by no means fixed, but it helped to regulate it a bit more
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Helpless. Don't want to queue up for NHS as that will take years. Counsellors don't seem helpful.

As frustrating as waiting can be, it might be worth asking to be referred for talking therapy if you are struggling with this. CBT can be helpful for insomnia. There are also self-help resources online, or some books, such as Overcoming Insomnia, which could give you some useful advice on how to work on improving your sleep.
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol
As frustrating as waiting can be, it might be worth asking to be referred for talking therapy if you are struggling with this. CBT can be helpful for insomnia. There are also self-help resources online, or some books, such as Overcoming Insomnia, which could give you some useful advice on how to work on improving your sleep.

How I wish I could. My earliest face-to-face school counselling appointment won't happen until the end of May. It seems they are packed and I am not sure how long additional referral would take as I'll be completing my PG course in Sep.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
How I wish I could. My earliest face-to-face school counselling appointment won't happen until the end of May. It seems they are packed and I am not sure how long additional referral would take as I'll be completing my PG course in Sep.

Looking into some self-help resources might be helpful while you wait. You're right that waiting lists are generally quite long at the moment, but if you feel the need for some more support, it could be worth just getting the process started now. If you are referred for talking therapy, low intensity (step 2) therapies don't tend to have as long of a waiting list, and they do work with people with insomnia. Depending on where you live, your local services might accept self-referrals, too, which would save a trip to the GP.

Quick Reply

Latest