The Student Room Group

Autism and sensory

HI. How do you like cope with the sensory issues that come with autism. I'm extremely sensory texture, smells, noise, crowds, food etc..
More pressing at moment, with like smells if food. With the coronation and the Dec's and parties and workplaces doing things to mark it.
Reply 1
Original post by unknownforever
HI. How do you like cope with the sensory issues that come with autism. I'm extremely sensory texture, smells, noise, crowds, food etc..
More pressing at moment, with like smells if food. With the coronation and the Dec's and parties and workplaces doing things to mark it.

Not everything works for everyone but I find I can only really do little things that work for some situations rather than all. I've just started seeing an occupational therapist to work out some solutions but in terms of what I've tried to do to help my sensory issues...I mainly suffer from loud noises but I do have another thing.

With noise, my simple solution was noise-cancelling headphones and they've worked wonders. I also carry around a fidget cube so when they are too many people, I can attempt (it doesn't always work) to distract myself from how many people they are. It also helps with textures and I'll often fidget if I accidentally touch something I don't like. I also struggle going alone to places so I use whoever is with me as a sort of support system if they have agreed to it.

I've never found a lot to help with coping with smells sadly. I get really sick and overwhelmed if there are too many different ones and there are a few that I hate so much, I will just get up and leave. I'm slightly lucky that I like fragrance smells so I can coat like the rim of my hoodie arm so if I need to spell something else, I can just look like I'm rubbing my nose. I'm afraid I'm not being very positive or helpful here, sorry.
Reply 2
Thanks for reply, seems like we both struggle in the same way.

I've tried headphones but that presents another challenge, the feel of it on my head, ears, the fear of missing important noises.
Reply 3
Original post by unknownforever
Thanks for reply, seems like we both struggle in the same way.

I've tried headphones but that presents another challenge, the feel of it on my head, ears, the fear of missing important noises.

Yeah I get that too sometimes. I have different types of headphones and earphones for where I am but it can be hard and annoying to find the ones you want so trust me, I understand. It's just about trial and error most of the time, despite how frustrating the initial thing in when you can't find what you need.

When I'm out in a non-busy place, I have headphones that just make everything quieter but not block them out completely, apart from things like buzzing sounds and high-pitched things. But I can still hear voices. In other situations, I have ones that block out everything.

Loops are also amazing if you struggle with the feel of headphones. Their super comfy and more like earbuds but it really depends on where your sensors are heightened :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest