The Student Room Group

Dropped out of Uni and don’t know what to do with my life

So, I dropped out of university recently because I was really not feeling the course or the institution. Honestly, the fact that I didn't get into my first-choice uni was a big letdown and probably contributed to why I didn't enjoy my time there.

The main reason I left was to have another shot at getting into my top choice while also making some money on the side. But guess what? I just got another rejection and now I'm feeling pretty lost. Dropping out might have been the biggest mistake of my life because I feel like I wasted a whole year doing nothing. Even though I have a job right now, I can't see myself doing retail forever. I really want a degree, you know?

I'm the kind of person who needs to make sure that I'm making the right decision. I can't just pick any university because I know it will affect every aspect of my life. Idek what i’m saying, i’m just ranting. I just really seriously hate my life right now.
Reply 1
Then do something about it, you are in control and only YOU can change the situation. You cant change what's gone, that's done but you can change going forwards. So stop whinging and whining and take action.

Firstly, don't get hung up on first choice university, its absolutely ridiculous there are loads of universities in the UK, many offering very similar courses. If your first choice didn't offer you a place for whatever reason, their loss, spend your money with another that does want your business.

See University guide for ideas:
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/

So decide on what you want to study, look at what's available and apply. This time when you get an offer, make it work, apply yourself and secure your degree. If a University is good enough to offer you a place, repay that by giving them your total commitment, ditch dreaming about what could be and looking over your shoulder, work at it to try and secure a 2:1 or even a first and use your knowledge for some good.

The world awaits you, pick yourself up and go for it, your glass is half full not half empty :smile:
Don’t stress your self there is no rush I didn’t go to u I until I was 20 and I dropped out I ended up going somewhere else as a mature student at 21 I’m guessing your what 18 maybe 19 so chill.
Original post by Anonymous
So, I dropped out of university recently because I was really not feeling the course or the institution. Honestly, the fact that I didn't get into my first-choice uni was a big letdown and probably contributed to why I didn't enjoy my time there.

The main reason I left was to have another shot at getting into my top choice while also making some money on the side. But guess what? I just got another rejection and now I'm feeling pretty lost. Dropping out might have been the biggest mistake of my life because I feel like I wasted a whole year doing nothing. Even though I have a job right now, I can't see myself doing retail forever. I really want a degree, you know?

I'm the kind of person who needs to make sure that I'm making the right decision. I can't just pick any university because I know it will affect every aspect of my life. Idek what i’m saying, i’m just ranting. I just really seriously hate my life right now.

Hi,
I'm sorry that you are feeling lost at the minute. At the time I'm sure dropping out felt like the best thing to do and that's ok. You can still get to where you want to be. Perhaps it might be worth now looking at different universities and attending some open days to get a feel for different places. Going to open days can provide a good opportunity to speak to current students and staff about what it might be like for you.

I hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
#Anon,

You could have got into your first choice uni and still not liked it!

I was really stuck about where to go for my degree and in my first year (especially at the start) I wondered if I made the right choice. I was getting used to a new area, people, accommodation and course and would think to myself when I faced challenges or difficulties 'Would I have those same challenges at a different university?'

After taking the time to think about it, I realised that if I had gone somewhere else, some of the challenges would have been the same and others would be unique to that situation.

By the end of first year, I felt really thankful to be on a course with great teaching and kind and passionate lecturers. I realised I was really fortunate to be studying and to be in a really supportive environment.

Anon, would you consider clearing?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
I would seriously do an apprenticeship as I don't feel that throwing yourself back into higher education when you have just dropped out is a good idea. If you drop out a second time you have to self fund a year of your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending