The Student Room Group

I can't drop out!! Failing Psychology masters but i want a phd for ego reasons

Part 2 of my psychology masters rant from my previous thread. Might make into a regular part rant threads.

I am currently failing. I have never failed in uni in my life. I have four resit including failing the whole of the statistics side of the psychology module.

I can't drop out because of the pandemic. I only went back to masters because i have no friends and mentally ****ed. I do want to continue with the course due to narcissist ego plan.

Whilst i am passionate of helping people, i have no real interest in being a psychologist. I don't ****ing want it but at the same time having a 'Dr' title makes me feel better. Everyone around round me would think better of me and being a young person in clinical psychology could be the answer to my **** life.

Anyone studying psychology? how can i do improve now. I'm set to fail regardless but i'm ready to drag 10 years of uni to finally get a distinction on psychology
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quiet Benin
Part 2 of my psychology masters rant from my previous thread. Might make into a regular part rant threads.

I am currently failing. I have never failed in uni in my life. I have four resit including failing the whole of the statistics side of the psychology module.

I can't drop out because of the pandemic. I only went back to masters because i have no friends and mentally ****ed. I do want to continue with the course due to narcissist ego plan.

Whilst i am passionate of helping people, i have no real interest in being a psychologist. I don't ****ing want it but at the same time having a 'Dr' makes me feel better. Everyone around round me would think better of me and being a young person in clinical psychology could be the answer to my **** life.

Anyone studying psychology? how can i do improve now. I'm set to fail regardless but i'm ready to drag 10 years of uni to finally get a distinction on psychology

Perhaps try going into a different field if you don't want to become a psychologist? :smile:
And why do you care of what others think of you?
Original post by Anonymous
Perhaps try going into a different field if you don't want to become a psychologist? :smile:
And why do you care of what others think of you?

I'm searching for another field but i generally don't have passion for it. I worked in forensic mental health in the past and it was so awful my manager made me cry and i ended up being so angry with him every time i saw him.

When you have an incurable disorder, people like to belittle you. They like to mock you because your weak. By getting a doctorate in psychology will be a big **** you to my parents and every **** that has bullied and belittled me. Sometimes is good to do something you have no interest in even if it makes mentally sick at the end.
I'm searching for another field but i generally don't have passion for it. I worked in forensic mental health in the past and it was so awful my manager made me cry and i ended up being so angry with him every time i saw him.

When you have an incurable disorder, people like to belittle you. They like to mock you because your weak. By getting a doctorate in psychology will be a big **** you to my parents and every **** that has bullied and belittled me. Sometimes is good to do something you have no interest in even if it makes mentally sick at the end.

Wanting to impress is normal, we all have that urge to show people what we are made off and prove people wrong. The only problem is that most people do not care about what you do, not really, and even if those people who may have belittled you before find out you are a dr, they will just find another avenue to do it again. Put simply you may be living your life for others, not for yourself.

If it helps you, I am doing a doctorate in psychology as we speak and I can tell you that although the title and the role was a strong motivation, now I am doing it it really is not very important now. Its just some letters, it does not provide a panacea, no one is even midly impressed after a few minutes. Don't waste your valuable time on looking for that payoff, the real value is enjoying the moment and valuing yourself.

I absolutely love that you have such a care and want to help others despite what you appear to have gone through. This is your strength, and you certainly don't need a degree or a title to use that. Take a step back and ask yourself,

What do I want for me? Not for others, but solely for me?

I hope you keep well,

Tony
anyone studying a psychology conversion masters?

its so difficult
Chances are having a doctorate won't make you won't feel any better long-term. I definitely wouldn't suggest doing the DClinPsy if you have no interest in becoming a psychologist, it's an extrememly competitive process requiring top grades, years of clinical experience and often multiple years of applications. I would take some time to take care of your mental health and work out what you're truly passionate about before committing to anything.

Whilst i am passionate of helping people, i have no real interest in being a psychologist. I don't ****ing want it but at the same time having a 'Dr' makes me feel better. Everyone around round me would think better of me and being a young person in clinical psychology could be the answer to my **** life.

@Quiet Benin
It sounds like you have had a really tough time, but have really shown lots of positive qualities in your perseverance with the course.

I am in the final stages of my MSc Psychology and I have found with post graduate study (which I have done twice before) that it is easy to have a massive drop in confidence if you don't quite clear a hurdle early on. I am terrible at getting research project paperwork through (took me 12 goes), but luckily I knew I had the academic skills from my PGCE (which is also Level 7 to keep going).

It might be worth using a reflection cycle by the likes of Gibbs to think about why you aren't quite getting the grades you want. Perhaps you need to improve your overall academic writing skills, further reading depth etc. Maybe you are struggling with the online aspect?

It might be worth talking to student services at your University to see if they can help. It is natural to struggle with something new, I'm sure you will do great when you unlock what the crux of the issue is.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

I can relate to that
As someone who has a doctorate I would strongly discourage you from getting one simply as a way to gloat and get revenge on your bullies. Applications for PhD positions are very competitive and normally require very high grades and then interviews (I had to go through 3 interview rounds for the position I applied to). And then the PhD itself is extraordinarily challenging even for someone who likes the subject, let alone for someone who doesn’t and is only doing it to get one up on others. It’s highly unlikely someone like that would even be able to make it through the doctorate without falling into inertia and being plagued by lack of motivation. And even if they did complete it against all the odds, it’s likely the feeling of euphoria at being a doctor would be fleeting. It certainly wouldn’t solve the deep-seated mental health issues you have. Once the novelty of the doctorate fades your unresolved emotions will rise to the surface again.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you're finding your psychology msc hard a phd will be harder, just buy a fake one off the internet, i hate/d my psychology phd. And there is nothing to gloat about, you are not a real doctor, you ain't no help during a heart attack that's for sure.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JamesManc
If you're finding your psychology msc hard a phd will be harder, just buy a fake one off the internet, i hate/d my psychology phd. And there is nothing to gloat about, you are not a real doctor, you ain't no help during a heart attack that's for sure.

Agreed, I've submitted mine and I honestly don't feel it is a crazy achievement. I done it because its a job and I'm interested, but to be honest, everyone has a PhD. Meaning it's not as special as it was 40 years ago.
Reply 11
Hey, sorry to hear things aren't going to plan :frown: You obviously recognise you're doing it for the wrong reasons and that is half the battle. It's not worth going through all the effort and putting 3 years of your life into a subject you don't enjoy, just to have the 3 seconds of satisfaction when you impress someone by telling them you have a phd. You obviously have a great level of ambition, if you channel this in the right direction you could really fly high and probably achieve beyond what you can imagine. Being personally fulfilled + successful - now THAT would be a proper middle finger to anyone who belittled you. :cool:

I really do relate to this internal battle of prestige vs happiness though. I always excelled in my academics and it's easy to let this define your self-worth, but it's a horrible path to go down, especially when your grades fall and suddenly you feel like you are worthless. I was studying maths at uni, probably because I liked how people reacted to it... that sense of pride when people respond with: 'OH! wow that's unexpected, you must be clever'. But as others have said, it's fleeting and will not make you happy.

I wasted 2 years battling with a subject I hated, and truly lost myself along the way. I ended up dropping out, taking a couple of years out from academia, and went back to study something I enjoy. Psychology actually! My uni experience now is completely different, and I am so happy I took this direction.

I'd suggest finishing your masters, put your all into it and get it done. But leave it there! There are so many paths you can go down with a psych degree/masters. What career options are you currently considering? Have you thought about more business related careers where psych grads are desirable, eg UX/UI Design / Human Resources / behavioural insights

All the best xx
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Secretariat123
Agreed, I've submitted mine and I honestly don't feel it is a crazy achievement. I done it because its a job and I'm interested, but to be honest, everyone has a PhD. Meaning it's not as special as it was 40 years ago.

Oh I should have moved off after my undergraduate tbh, I would have had a much more enjoyable time.

Not being funny but if you struggle with a masters a PhD will be the death of you id say the jump from masters to PhD is significantly larger then the jump from bachelors to masters, not only this but the level of independence is significant.

Pursuing a PhD for narcissistic reasons would be a waste of time & money on your part, would likely lead in dropping out imo and is unfair on the research group and supervisor who wish to produce genuinely beneficial output.

It feels like that in when you've been in academia for sometime but only about 1% of the working population has a PhD and a large proportion of them will be there. Outside of that, it's still pretty rare :yep:
Of course having a PhD means you’re a real doctor. You’re a doctor of philosophy. Medical doctors aren’t the only type of doctors you know!
Original post by JamesManc

lol how the hell can you buy a fake one of the internet haha.

I know i wouldn't be a real doctor but i could have been a clinical psychologist.
Original post by mnot
Not being funny but if you struggle with a masters a PhD will be the death of you id say the jump from masters to PhD is significantly larger then the jump from bachelors to masters, not only this but the level of independence is significant.

Pursuing a PhD for narcissistic reasons would be a waste of time & money on your part, would likely lead in dropping out imo and is unfair on the research group and supervisor who wish to produce genuinely beneficial output.

im scared of employment. I believe im unemployable due to mental health issues.

I'm thinking of a Phd because the PsychD looks impossible to get into, even with a conversion psychology masters.

My passion was in Education studies as i studied as a degree. In 2019, i had some very narrcisstic reasons to even do a phd in education if i couldn't get into employment. luckily since graduation, i was fortunate to have been employed four times. The real reason for studying psychology is mainly because my parents rejected me doing a PGCE and a MA in Education. What could i do? i had to think like them (my mum used to be a mental health worker before she became physically disabled and my dad works in psychosocial treatment), so i chose psychology with the ****ed up attempt of being a psychologist.

I thought my previous experience as a Forensic mental health support worker could make the course easy for me, but it hasn't. It's ****ing difficult.

Sorry i have ranted and looks like i really didn't answer question.

Do you get paid for it?

Whilst i am passionate of helping people, i have no real interest in being a psychologist. I don't ****ing want it but at the same time having a 'Dr' title makes me feel better. Everyone around round me would think better of me and being a young person in clinical psychology could be the answer to my **** life.

Sounds like you want to do a PhD for completely the wrong reason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending