The Student Room Group

not sure what to do for uni :0

ive sent my application in during the jan deadline but i don’t like my uni options and have doubts on my actual course i feel like it’s not something i would thoroughly enjoy and just something i put down for the sake of it. i haven’t firmed or insured my choices because i don’t feel sure about any of them. i’m thinking about going through clearing but should i still firm a choice just in case ? idk what i’m doing and it’s really eating me up that i’m not sure
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by xoul.444
ive sent my application in during the jan deadline but i don’t like my uni options and have doubts on my actual course i feel like it’s not something i would thoroughly enjoy and just something i put down for the sake of it. i haven’t firmed or insured my choices because i don’t feel sure about any of them. i’m thinking about going through clearing but should i still firm a choice just in case ? idk what i’m doing and it’s really eating me up that i’m not sure

When you say, "i don’t like my uni options", is that because the universities you actually want to go to didn't make you an offer, so the choices your left with aren't really where you wanted to go in the first place? Or is it down to the course? I ask the question because you talked about "my uni options" and then went on to say "and have doubts on my actual course", implying those are separate/distinct issues.

You say your chosen course is "not something i would thoroughly enjoy". If you could choose again today, do you know course you would prefer? Or are you hoping that this will become clear at some point over the next few months?

Are you generally an indecisive person? (I'm just trying to work out whether this is the nervousness that many people feel after made an important decision, or whether it's something that happens to you a lot.)

If you are absolutely sure that the options you have right now are not for you, then there's little point in selecting any of them as your firm/insurance choice. A better option would be to do some research between now and 8th June and look for a course which is of interest which is available via UCAS Extra. (UCAS Search allows you to filter by courses which still have places.) Once you found one, call the university and check that they really are still accepting applications and that they would consider an application from you. (Sometimes UCAS is out-of-date, or the course is available but only for international candidates - hence why you need to call). If you find a course that you're keen on, and who will consider your application, then you can decline the offers you have right now and apply for via UCAS Extra. There's a risk they won't make you an offer, meaning you'd need to apply via UCAS Extra elsewhere. You might have to keep doing this until Extra closes and Clearing opens.

If you think the current choices might be OK, but you're just not sure, then you might be better to make your firm/insurance decision, and then attend whatever events the universities have (e.g. open days, offer-holder days, taster lectures, etc.) trying to establish whether you really want t study that course at that university. If you decide that you do, then you're sorted. If not, you can decline any place you receive on A level results day and drop into Clearing. You can also drop into Clearing sooner than that if you're sure what you want to do before then.

Other options would be to contact the universities who've made offers and ask whether you can switch to a different course. Or you could ask to defer for a year (whilst you decide what you want to do). Obviously neither of these options are any good if you don't like the universities themselves - hence my first question.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you say, "i don’t like my uni options", is that because the universities you actually want to go to didn't make you an offer, so the choices your left with aren't really where you wanted to go in the first place? Or is it down to the course? I ask the question because you talked about "my uni options" and then went on to say "and have doubts on my actual course", implying those are separate/distinct issues.

You say your chosen course is "not something i would thoroughly enjoy". If you could choose again today, do you know course you would prefer? Or are you hoping that this will become clear at some point over the next few months?

Are you generally an indecisive person? (I'm just trying to work out whether this is the nervousness that many people feel after made an important decision, or whether it's something that happens to you a lot.)

If you are absolutely sure that the options you have right now are not for you, then there's little point in selecting any of them as your firm/insurance choice. A better option would be to do some research between now and 8th June and look for a course which is of interest which is available via UCAS Extra. (UCAS Search allows you to filter by courses which still have places.) Once you found one, call the university and check that they really are still accepting applications and that they would consider an application from you. (Sometimes UCAS is out-of-date, or the course is available but only for international candidates - hence why you need to call). If you find a course that you're keen on, and who will consider your application, then you can decline the offers you have right now and apply for via UCAS Extra. There's a risk they won't make you an offer, meaning you'd need to apply via UCAS Extra elsewhere. You might have to keep doing this until Extra closes and Clearing opens.

If you think the current choices might be OK, but you're just not sure, then you might be better to make your firm/insurance decision, and then attend whatever events the universities have (e.g. open days, offer-holder days, taster lectures, etc.) trying to establish whether you really want t study that course at that university. If you decide that you do, then you're sorted. If not, you can decline any place you receive on A level results day and drop into Clearing. You can also drop into Clearing sooner than that if you're sure what you want to do before then.

Other options would be to contact the universities who've made offers and ask whether you can switch to a different course. Or you could ask to defer for a year (whilst you decide what you want to do). Obviously neither of these options are any good if you don't like the universities themselves - hence my first question.

it’s not that i don’t like the unis it’s just 3 of them are far and after thinking about finance and everything i’ve realised i wouldn’t be able to live that far away. the other 2 i’m left with are closer but all of them are expecting way below my predicted grade like BBC but i’m predicted AAB and i feel like i should’ve chosen ones that were better to put as my insurance. i wouldn’t mind those unis but there’s others i would want to go to more instead.
about ur second question, i don’t hate my course and i know i could go through with it but it wouldn’t be something i enjoy it’s just something i could get by with i have looked but i haven’t really found anything that i’m keen on and feel like i’m just waiting for it to like come to me if that makes sense. i’m just having doubts about my course because i want to do something i’ll enjoy and is worthwhile doing and i don’t think business management / marketing is that thing.
and yes i am a very indecisive person and cannot make a choice in ANYTHING to save my life haha
thank you so much for ur advice :smile: !! i think i might just firm the choices and wait and see till clearing as after exams i’ll have more time to think about it and make my choice as there’s only a week left till the 8th june deadline.
at the same time i’m thinking maybe a gap year ? since i’m not sure what i want to do but i wouldn’t have anything to do on my gap year and wouldn’t want to waste it and just sit around all year but then again i’m not sure what course i would like to do instead so what would i switch to ? i’ve spoken to some friends and a family member once and they said business management isn’t something they think is best for me and i genuinely don’t feel that way either . i think the only reason i chose it is because i did. business in gcse and now alevels so i know a bit about it and it’s a flexible degree but that’s pretty much it
Reply 3
Original post by xoul.444

Don't go to uni now. Studying a degree is hard and you're not gonna do well unless you're really motivated about your course, if you start something you're not really keen on you're either gonna drop out and waste a bunch of time and money you're not gonna get back, stick with the course but not meet your potential because you're unmotivated, or do well but have a miserable time and harm your wellbeing to do so - none of those are good options.

I assume you're currently in high school or have just left - I know it can feel like going to uni now is the expectation but it's not worth it unless it's gonna be fulfilling and further your career, which it won't if you're having doubts about it or have just picked something you were railroaded into. You have plenty of time, you'll be far better off in the long term taking some time out and figuring out what you really want to do then applying to uni (or some other kind of training/directly for jobs if that's more appropriate) once you've chosen something you have genuine passion for. Take a gap year, get a job, go to open days and careers events, do as much volunteering and work experience as you can - you'll definitely find something you want to do. And that experience looks great on uni applications as well so you'll become a better candidate by doing it.

I'm 24 and applying to uni now - for something I'm incredibly passionate about and 1000% sure I want to make my career for the foreseeable future, because I've had the time and life/professional experience to recognize and develop that interest. I likely wouldn't have applied to this course at 18 if I'd had the option of going to uni then, not so much because my interests changed but because I hadn't had the life experience to realize this was really THE THING for me. You deserve to find your thing, and your time at uni and life in generally will be much better if you do
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JaceW98
Don't go to uni now. Studying a degree is hard and you're not gonna do well unless you're really motivated about your course, if you start something you're not really keen on you're either gonna drop out and waste a bunch of time and money you're not gonna get back, stick with the course but not meet your potential because you're unmotivated, or do well but have a miserable time and harm your wellbeing to do so - none of those are good options.

I assume you're currently in high school or have just left - I know it can feel like going to uni now is the expectation but it's not worth it unless it's gonna be fulfilling and further your career, which it won't if you're having doubts about it or have just picked something you were railroaded into. You have plenty of time, you'll be far better off in the long term taking some time out and figuring out what you really want to do then applying to uni (or some other kind of training/directly for jobs if that's more appropriate) once you've chosen something you have genuine passion for. Take a gap year, get a job, go to open days and careers events, do as much volunteering and work experience as you can - you'll definitely find something you want to do. And that experience looks great on uni applications as well so you'll become a better candidate by doing it.

I'm 24 and applying to uni now - for something I'm incredibly passionate about and 1000% sure I want to make my career for the foreseeable future, because I've had the time and life/professional experience to recognize and develop that interest. I likely wouldn't have applied to this course at 18 if I'd had the option of going to uni then, not so much because my interests changed but because I hadn't had the life experience to realize this was really THE THING for me. You deserve to find your thing, and your time at uni and life in generally will be much better if you do

thank you so much this meant a lot to me and i feel like uni is something your just expected to do straight after a levels even if ur not sure what it is you want to do.
i do want to take some time off and do a gap year but i feel like i just need to utilise my time in the most effective way so i can do things that’ll help me and not just waste a year doing nothing if that makes sense. i really want to find my passion and my thing like you said and i want to do something i’ll love and enjoy.
yet, the main reason i want to go uni now is just to get out the house and be able to be free in a way i’ve never been before i feel very suffocated here and just want to leave and start a fresh and just something new somewhere new where i’m away from everything here i know it might sound silly but 😂

Quick Reply

Latest