The Student Room Group

How to deal with strict parents while having a relationship?

I am 17 and I have very strict parents and I am from a very strict south Asian family. I have been in a relationship with a boy for 3 years and I have been in love with him. But my parents can't just tolerate him and always abuses me whenever they come to know that I have communicated with him. At the same time, I haven't any other friend who would support me. So I can't even meet my bf and I really really miss him always. When I found that he is being hurt at my parents' behaviour, I wanted to breakup because I don't want to hurt him ( and my mom too). But he is too comfy with me and don't want to leave me at any cost. Such a condition is creating bad impacts in my everyday life. How can I deal with this?
Reply 1
If you really love him and he does back, then it shouldn't be an issue if you tell him you need some time until you're in University with a little more freedom (not breakup more like a temporary separation, especially since he is aware of your current situation). Of course try stay in touch every now and then but don't you think this would be the perfect scenario to see whether he stays or moves on?

In addition to this, abuse is never okay and if you ever need someone to talk to, please do not hesitate to private message :frown:

Lastly, this is just my advice!
-W
Reply 2
Original post by tridha
I am 17 and I have very strict parents and I am from a very strict south Asian family. I have been in a relationship with a boy for 3 years and I have been in love with him. But my parents can't just tolerate him and always abuses me whenever they come to know that I have communicated with him. At the same time, I haven't any other friend who would support me. So I can't even meet my bf and I really really miss him always. When I found that he is being hurt at my parents' behaviour, I wanted to breakup because I don't want to hurt him ( and my mom too). But he is too comfy with me and don't want to leave me at any cost. Such a condition is creating bad impacts in my everyday life. How can I deal with this?

I agree with the last comment. I was in a similiar situation when i was 16 and decided to cut contact until we were ready. I am now in my 20s and we are together and very happy. I didnt feel like it was worth ruining my relationship with my parents over this and was confident he would wait which is why I made the decision at the time. If cutting contact would be too difficult, maybe just talk as though you are friends, who do not need to meet often until you are old enough to have your own freedom.

Quick Reply

Latest