The Student Room Group

Finding it hard to study after serious medical issue

My girlfriend that I live with recently had a very serious medical emergency, and I have been struggling to find the motivation to study during this time. I feel like I need some technique to get me in the mindset after all this is going on. It's quite difficult after seeing her every day and trying to deal with household chores on my own.
Does anyone have any advice you can give?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My girlfriend that I live with recently had a very serious medical emergency, and I have been struggling to find the motivation to study during this time. I feel like I need some technique to get me in the mindset after all this is going on. It's quite difficult after seeing her every day and trying to deal with household chores on my own.
Does anyone have any advice you can give?

I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend's medical emergency. It's completely understandable that you're finding it difficult to focus on your studies during this challenging time. Here are some tips that might help you:

1. Take care of yourself: Make sure you're getting enough sleep, eating healthy food, and exercising regularly. Taking care of your own needs will help you stay mentally and physically healthy, which will make it easier to focus on your studies.

2. Create a schedule: Develop a schedule that balances your responsibilities at home and your studies. Prioritize your girlfriend's health, but also make time for your own needs and your studies. Stick to the schedule as much as possible, but be flexible when needed.

3. Break it down: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work you have to do, break it down into smaller, more manageable tasks. Focus on completing one task at a time and celebrate your progress.

4. Find a study buddy: Consider finding a study buddy or joining a study group. This will help you stay motivated and accountable.

5. Seek support: Don't hesitate to reach out for support from friends, family, or a therapist. Talking about your feelings can help you feel more motivated and less alone.

Remember that it's okay to take things one day at a time and to ask for help when you need it.

Quick Reply

Latest