The Student Room Group

how to become more confident?

i know there's no set way to gain confidence but it's something i've constantly struggled with - i get really worked up over having to speak to people and my mind just goes blank and i start panicking i just am unable to open my mouth.

ive always had some sort of inferiority complex and cant get myself to ask for help in school as i dont like talking to teachers and just sitting in their class instils fear in me as i wonder if i ask for help everyones gonna think im stupid. i go to a grammar school where everyones insanely smart and i once asked a question and heard someone scoffing and muttering and after that i havent really spoke in class again.

i couldn't even talk to them about my predicted grades ( i wanted to appeal ) as i was writing my appeal a sense fear just took over me and i couldn't even fill it in as i knew i would have to talk to them about it afterwards - it was mainly due to thoughts like what if they wonder why im appealing when my grades arent even great? what if they think its stupid of me to ask? so now im applying for a random course i don't want to do cause i didn't get the predicted..

as i joined my current school in sixth form everyone had their own cliques and when i tried to make friends no one really seemed interested in and it was obvious they didn't want me around and acted as if i was a bother which eventually made me embarrassed once i realised it so i dont really speak unless im approached to first.

i spend the whole school day in the library as we're off timetable now and im just scared for myself in uni.. if it's going to be as lonely as this i dont think i'll be able to endure it

i know this sounds pathetic but i just want to improve on myself
sorry for any grammar/ spelling mistakes
Reply 1
Hi

First of all I’m sure university will be different. It is a fresh start and a place where all first years will be new. I would say though don’t take a course that you may not like because you are setting up your future and may not find people like you because you are not doing a course you like

Even at a grammar school, the teachers are there to help and who cares what anyone else thinks (I know this is easier said than done) but you just have to think you probably won’t see them again after you leave. If you need help definitely ask for it - it is your future and nobody will think you are stupid

Your past experiences probably lead to your anxiety around new people. Start with a hello and gradually build up

You’ll get there 😀
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
i know there's no set way to gain confidence but it's something i've constantly struggled with - i get really worked up over having to speak to people and my mind just goes blank and i start panicking i just am unable to open my mouth.

ive always had some sort of inferiority complex and cant get myself to ask for help in school as i dont like talking to teachers and just sitting in their class instils fear in me as i wonder if i ask for help everyones gonna think im stupid. i go to a grammar school where everyones insanely smart and i once asked a question and heard someone scoffing and muttering and after that i havent really spoke in class again.

i couldn't even talk to them about my predicted grades ( i wanted to appeal ) as i was writing my appeal a sense fear just took over me and i couldn't even fill it in as i knew i would have to talk to them about it afterwards - it was mainly due to thoughts like what if they wonder why im appealing when my grades arent even great? what if they think its stupid of me to ask? so now im applying for a random course i don't want to do cause i didn't get the predicted..

as i joined my current school in sixth form everyone had their own cliques and when i tried to make friends no one really seemed interested in and it was obvious they didn't want me around and acted as if i was a bother which eventually made me embarrassed once i realised it so i dont really speak unless im approached to first.

i spend the whole school day in the library as we're off timetable now and im just scared for myself in uni.. if it's going to be as lonely as this i dont think i'll be able to endure it

i know this sounds pathetic but i just want to improve on myself
sorry for any grammar/ spelling mistakes

I apologise beforehand if my post offends you in the slightest - focus on what I want to say.

First of all, developing confidence is easy. Really easy. And I still get suprised as to why we all are told that confidence is only the trait of the elite. No! It is the trait of the determined and the strong.

To develop confidence, I recommend watching Suits and listening to Churchill's speeches.

As for people not wanting to be friends, ignore it and walk away. Take the high road - the road that brings you happiness and joy in life. Cheers:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest