The Student Room Group

MSci or BSc

I'm currently studying for a BSc in Biological Sciences, but people keep telling me to transfer to the MSci. What are the pros and cons of doing an MSci? And is it better to do an MSci or an MSc? any other advice is also appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Zoey101.x
I'm currently studying for a BSc in Biological Sciences, but people keep telling me to transfer to the MSci. What are the pros and cons of doing an MSci? And is it better to do an MSci or an MSc? any other advice is also appreciated :smile:

I can't say I'm an expert on the topic, but I know a fair bit:

Pro:

A significantly cheaper way to do a master's than doing it separately (£9250 vs whatever they charge)

If you intend to work in a biological field, you would need at least a master's to get into the area; so it's an easy transition

If you like familiar environments, then it would be an easy choice to progress into

If you have academics who are experts in the fields that you want to go into, it's an easy choice

An MSc is essentially half of a bachelor's + master's dissertation. An MSci, would allow you to study more advanced topics and get more time doing your dissertation (I think)

MSci's normally allow you to downgrade to a BSci should you not wish to later do the integrated year

Arguably, MSci would be less competitive than doing an MSc

Con:

You don't get to go to another university and experience a different uni life (spolier: they're usually not that different)

If you have academics who aren't experts in the specific fields that you want to go into, then you should ideally go to another university

The entry requirements are often higher than that for the bachelor's (at least in terms of grades)

Universities that offer MSci's tend to be top end universities, where competition tend to be high

If academia is not what you want to get into, it might be a waste of a year

If the subject you are studying is not a field that you want to go into (i.e. biological science), and you want to change to a different field it's going to be a pain funding your second master's out of pocket without student finance - having said that an undergrad in biological sciences tend to open opportunities into healthcare anyway, and there are usually a list of allied health subjects where the government/NHS would be willing to partially/fully fund you provided you work in the public sector afterwards (I don't know for how long)

If you don't like your lecturers/seminar leaders, you might have to put up with them for another year

The 4th year is generally not as easy as doing an MSc (I think)

In short, if you are attending a top end uni and you definitely want to go into biological sciences, then the MSci would make sense. Even if you later decide not to do the 4th year, you can always downgrade to a bachelor's later. It's much harder to uprgrade to an MSci later on.
Reply 2
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending