The Student Room Group

Becoming a Clinical Psychologist

I just wanted to check- You can't become a clinical psychologist with just an MSci degree, can you? Don't you also need to have clinical doctorate? Any answers would be really helpful because I'm applying this month!!! ((:
Original post by sarahhhh123
I just wanted to check- You can't become a clinical psychologist with just an MSci degree, can you? Don't you also need to have clinical doctorate? Any answers would be really helpful because I'm applying this month!!! ((:

To practice as a Clinical Psychologist in the UK you need to be registered as such with the HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council). In order to register you need to have passed an "approved program" - all of which are doctorates for Clinical Psychology (list here). To be accepted into one of those doctoral programmes you need to have both a BPS-accredited undergraduate degree - typically at 2:1 or above (or BPS-accredited Master's conversion course) and relevant experience.

You say, "I'm applying this month". For what are you applying?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
To practice as a Clinical Psychologist in the UK you need to be registered as such with the HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council). In order to register you need to have passed an "approved program" - all of which are doctorates for Clinical Psychology (list here). To be accepted into one of those doctoral programmes you need to have both a BPS-accredited undergraduate degree - typically at 2:1 or above (or BPS-accredited Master's conversion course) and relevant experience.

You say, "I'm applying this month". For what are you applying?

Thank you so much for replying! I'm applying for psychology as an undergraduate and am trying to decide whether to apply for the MSci or BSc degree!!
Thank you so much for replying! I'm applying for psychology as an undergraduate and am trying to decide whether to apply for the MSci or BSc degree!!

DataVenia is right on the money.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't really matter which one you choose. From what I understand, the MSci is not necessarily valued as much as a separate Masters in its own right because it was integrated with your bachelor's degree. Not that it is worthless but it's not the best thing to do - probably best to do a separate Masters programme of your choosing which also has the added benefit of being better tailored to your interests. And as DataVenia pointed out, you only need a BPS accredited degree and experience to get onto the clinical psychology doctorate - no Masters required, although how much does it help to have one is the source of much debate.

A while ago I saw some stats which showed the existing qualifications of entrants to Clinical Psychology doctoral programmes. Unfortunately, it didn't distinguish between those who had a Master's by virtue of them taking an integrated Master's, a standalone Master's (which, as @Scotland Yard points out, is considered more valuable than an integrated Master's) or even those with a Master's conversion course. They were all just lumped into a "Master's" category, sadly.

As a result, I have no information as to whether your journey to becoming a Clinical Psychologist would benefit from you taking the BSc or the MSci.

Quick Reply

Latest