The Student Room Group

Higher English- critical essay

If I didn't manage to finish the conclusion on my higher English critical essay, do I loose marks for it?
If so is there actual proof on the SQA website of this as I have seen people say it, but have not found actual evidence.
Reply 1
Original post by ellie.jac056
If I didn't manage to finish the conclusion on my higher English critical essay, do I loose marks for it?
If so is there actual proof on the SQA website of this as I have seen people say it, but have not found actual evidence.

I'm not sure what the official answer is, but I do know that you won't get as many marks as if you finished it. I don't think there's any major deductions, but you'd be unlikely to get full marks. Saying that, you can probably still get a very good score depending on the rest of the essay. I would also say if you have started the conclusion but not finished it, then that's probably a bit of an advantage and you won't get marked down as much.
Reply 2
https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/instructions/2022/mi_NH_English_Critical-Reading_2022.pdf

I found these marking instructions from last year. On pages 2 and 3 they talk about general marking instructions where it says the following:

- "Always use positive marking. This means candidates accumulate marks for the
demonstration of relevant skills, knowledge and understanding; marks are not deducted
for errors or omissions."

- "Assessment should be holistic. There are strengths and weaknesses in every piece of
writing; assessment should focus as far as possible on the strengths, taking account of
weaknesses only when they significantly detract from the overall performance."
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
What this means is that you will not be deducted marks for not finishing your essay, but you won't receive credit for a conclusion and it's harder to achieve a high mark.
Reply 4
Original post by eturbyne52
I'm not sure what the official answer is, but I do know that you won't get as many marks as if you finished it. I don't think there's any major deductions, but you'd be unlikely to get full marks. Saying that, you can probably still get a very good score depending on the rest of the essay. I would also say if you have started the conclusion but not finished it, then that's probably a bit of an advantage and you won't get marked down as much.

Ok, thanks for the information!

what do you mean when you say that you didn't finish? were you mid sentence or had you only put a sentence or 2? Cause if it was the later you'll get structure marks.
Reply 6
Original post by hogwarts master
what do you mean when you say that you didn't finish? were you mid sentence or had you only put a sentence or 2? Cause if it was the later you'll get structure marks.

I started my conclusion but only put a sentence or so
Reply 7

My teacher told me not to bother writing a conlcusion if I didnt have enough time, she said that I had secure evaluation in my other paragraphs, so as long as your conclusion isn't adding anything that wasn't in the essay itself then you should be fine, especially if the examiners see that you have started

you'll get marks for structure then, and won't have it capped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending