The Student Room Group

Im not sure what to say to my teacher

So I missed a deadline due to really bad mental health that kept me from doing my work, Im not sure what to say to my teacher. I’ve spoken with my doctor but they only seem to focus on getting me counselling instead and apparently counselling rejected my request too :/

Im really lost and I would appreciate some advice, Im not sure how I can face my teachers tomorrow honestly.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I missed a deadline due to really bad mental health that kept me from doing my work, Im not sure what to say to my teacher. I’ve spoken with my doctor but they only seem to focus on getting me counselling instead and apparently counselling rejected my request too :/

Im really lost and I would appreciate some advice, Im not sure how I can face my teachers tomorrow honestly.

Hello mate,

Sorry to hear that you're struggling with your mental health, well done for sharing that. It can be very scary to confront and talk about a decline in mental health so don't worry if you haven't got it all figured out, nobody expects you to!

Do you have an email for your teacher? You could send something along the lines of:

Dear "XXX"

I'm emailing you to address the deadline that I missed recently.

I've been struggling with a decline in my mental health for some time and as a result of that I've been unable to do "XYZ". I don't want to fall behind and I'm keen to ensure that I stay on track with my work but I'm not how to do so on my own. Would it be possible for us to sit down and have a chat about my circumstances and support moving forward?

Kind Regards

"XXX"

If you're not able to email your teacher then write down a 'cheat sheet' of things you think are relevant to the situation ahead of the conversation. It's totally okay to have some cues to hand as it can be difficult to know where to start when you're on the spot. Approach the teacher before/after lesson or on a free period and say "Hello teacher, please could we have a few minutes to talk? I'm struggling with my mental health at the moment and I don't know where to start". Let them lead the conversation, you're in a fortunate position to be in education at a time where awareness and support of those with declining mental health is the highest its ever been. While it certainly has some space to improve, there are guidelines and frameworks in place to protect people like yourself.

Well done for speaking to your GP, you mentioned that you were declined for talking therapy - did the service or your GP offer any alternatives? If they haven't yet then arrange another appointment to follow up on moving forwards with the referral outcome taken into consideration. They won't help you with school, but keep going mate you're doing really well.

Quick Reply

Latest