The Student Room Group

Anxiety over starting University.

Kinda long. Sorry.
I'm nearly done with my time at sixth form with exams coming in a matter of days so I've started thinking about university more and more. The issue is the uncertainty of what's going to happen is causing me to overthink a bunch. I've started stressing about what's going to happen when I'm there,if I'll make any friends and if I'll get in at all because I've never been good at exams but I really want to. Although my parents say I can take a year out and reapply next year if I don't I'm worried that they'll think I'm being lazy if I don't pass my exams. I've even started stressing about the far future like if I I don't make any friends what am I going to do about finding housing in second year. I could really use any advice possible.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Guitar_Nerd
Kinda long. Sorry.
I'm nearly done with my time at sixth form with exams coming in a matter of days so I've started thinking about university more and more. The issue is the uncertainty of what's going to happen is causing me to overthink a bunch. I've started stressing about what's going to happen when I'm there,if I'll make any friends and if I'll get in at all because I've never been good at exams but I really want to. Although my parents say I can take a year out and reapply next year if I don't I'm worried that they'll think I'm being lazy if I don't pass my exams. I've even started stressing about the far future like if I I don't make any friends what am I going to do about finding housing in second year. I could really use any advice possible.

Hey,
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling stressed about university. It can create a lot of anxiety because it is a big change. What is good about it is everyone will be in the same situation, you are all new and you are all a bit apprehensive, and you are all wanting to meet people and make new friends. There will be lots of opportunities to meet people from the accommodation you stay in, your classes, societies and groups or nights out. University has a much bigger pool of people than school or sixth form so you are much more likely to meet lots of people with similar interests to you. It is unlikely that you wont find people to live with, but if that is the case then there are so many forums on facebook and other sites with students who are looking for extra housemates after someone has dropped out or individuals looking to make a group of people to get a house together. I know lots of people who for various reasons have used sites like this and it has always been easy to find somewhere to live and people to live with.
A Level exams are difficult and it is okay if you do not do well first time, this is not a reflection of your intelligence, nor does it make you lazy if you do not do well. As long as you know that in yourself, no one can make you feel lazy. Although I'm sure your parents understand how difficult they are too and will not judge you.
Good luck with everything! Things do always work out in the end.
Please feel free to message if you have any other worries or concerns.
Evie (4th year Medical Student at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest