The Student Room Group

Feeling nauseous when stressed

With the lead up to real exams, this has been happening a lot recently.
Ive tried some deep breathing, drinking more water etc but it just seems to take over and although I'm not physically sick I'm worried I might be when I'm waiting outside the exam hall TT
Anyone feeling the same/have advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Ive tried some deep breathing, drinking more water etc but it just seems to take over and although I'm not physically sick I'm worried I might be when I'm waiting outside the exam hall TT

I get the same thing! Unfortunately, if it's what I think it is, its anxiety nausea, so beyond coping methods (like deep breathing, which you've already tried) there's not a big lot you can really do :frown:

Sometimes I get it before I even eat in the morning of an exam, so maybe you do too? I find it's always a good idea to have something small - hunger will affect your mood and make you end up even worse, so even a slice of toast helps! Too much though, and you risk also making yourself feel worse (because you feel particularly full, you might be more aware of it? Not sure how it works, just what I've noticed).

Also, try cutting down on caffeine! As boring as I sound saying it, I find it helps me somewhat, so it might help you. Don't go cold turkey either if you're used to a morning coffee, you'll end up with caffeine withdrawals, which are arguably worse.

Again, not a big lot else you can do at this point in the year, but if you're at GCSE/AS level, try seeing a doctor about it. It could take a while, but you might get some support from it for next year. Couldn't hurt to try?

Just know you're not alone with exam nausea, and good luck! :smile:
Reply 2

I definitely get this! I generally get so stressed before exams that I physically through up which does tend to make me feel better. This was worse in GCSE’s and had gotten a lot better at university. I think it’s because I put less pressure on myself
Reply 3
Original post by heinzbeans7
I get the same thing! Unfortunately, if it's what I think it is, its anxiety nausea, so beyond coping methods (like deep breathing, which you've already tried) there's not a big lot you can really do :frown:

Sometimes I get it before I even eat in the morning of an exam, so maybe you do too? I find it's always a good idea to have something small - hunger will affect your mood and make you end up even worse, so even a slice of toast helps! Too much though, and you risk also making yourself feel worse (because you feel particularly full, you might be more aware of it? Not sure how it works, just what I've noticed).

Also, try cutting down on caffeine! As boring as I sound saying it, I find it helps me somewhat, so it might help you. Don't go cold turkey either if you're used to a morning coffee, you'll end up with caffeine withdrawals, which are arguably worse.

Again, not a big lot else you can do at this point in the year, but if you're at GCSE/AS level, try seeing a doctor about it. It could take a while, but you might get some support from it for next year. Couldn't hurt to try?

Just know you're not alone with exam nausea, and good luck! :smile:

Yes! I get it whenever I have a pinch of thought about sitting the exams or just knowing I don't have much time until the exam. I actually figured that eating a large breakfast made me feel even worse even though my parents insist on it but now I know what it actually is, I can probably convince them to just have a small breakfast before the exam instead.
I'm not a coffee person but now I think of it, I did take a paracetamol plus which has caffeine in it. Not sure if 1 tablet would be enough to contribute to the nausea but I will definitely be avoiding it now!
Thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Yes! I get it whenever I have a pinch of thought about sitting the exams or just knowing I don't have much time until the exam. I actually figured that eating a large breakfast made me feel even worse even though my parents insist on it but now I know what it actually is, I can probably convince them to just have a small breakfast before the exam instead.
I'm not a coffee person but now I think of it, I did take a paracetamol plus which has caffeine in it. Not sure if 1 tablet would be enough to contribute to the nausea but I will definitely be avoiding it now!
Thanks for the reassurance :smile:

No problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest