The Student Room Group

Can i switch from CS to math and CS at Manchester?

I am going into my first year of computer science at Manchester but want to switch from CS to math and CS, they are very closely related and my a levels are math, further math, physics and CS. Is this usually possible? And if it is possible should I notify them after or before I get the grades that I wish to switch courses?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bambam21566
I am going into my first year of computer science at Manchester but want to switch from CS to math and CS, they are very closely related and my a levels are math, further math, physics and CS. Is this usually possible? And if it is possible should I notify them after or before I get the grades that I wish to switch courses?

It's definitely possible, quite a lot of people switch courses but it's not always guaranteed. I would recommend emailing/notifying them sooner rather than later, so you have an idea of the chances and if they'll allow it. If they don't have the space, there's always the chance that they may be able to put your name down in case someone in the course doesn't get in, so it would probably be better to do check around now. Hope that helps! Congratulations on your offer and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
It's definitely possible, quite a lot of people switch courses but it's not always guaranteed. I would recommend emailing/notifying them sooner rather than later, so you have an idea of the chances and if they'll allow it. If they don't have the space, there's always the chance that they may be able to put your name down in case someone in the course doesn't get in, so it would probably be better to do check around now. Hope that helps! Congratulations on your offer and good luck :biggrin:

thank you! just wondering do you think it would be best to contact the computer science department directly or just university admissions in general, I just don't wanna annoy them as I would be hassling them.
Reply 3
thank you! just wondering do you think it would be best to contact the computer science department directly or just university admissions in general, I just don't wanna annoy them as I would be hassling them.

No problem! I'd say it would probably be safest to email Admissions - if they need to forward your email on they can, but considering you're not a fully fledged student yet it would be the best anyway to email admissions. Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by {Moss}
No problem! I'd say it would probably be safest to email Admissions - if they need to forward your email on they can, but considering you're not a fully fledged student yet it would be the best anyway to email admissions. Best of luck!

thanks. hopefully it shouldn't be that hard since both courses are pretty interlinked
Reply 5
thanks. hopefully it shouldn't be that hard since both courses are pretty interlinked

Yeah exactly, it's not like you're switching departments or anything as you're planning to do the duo, should hopefully be straightforward

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending