The Student Room Group

can i change my uni course?

Hi since results day is tomorrow I'd like to be prepared for anything. I've applied for BSc finance and economics, but now I'm considering a computer science degree. I've always been interested in software + coding but I haven't done CS a level, only maths so I thought I'd be at a disadvantage as I didn't do it for GCSE. Would it be too late to change courses?
Original post by annqbellex
Hi since results day is tomorrow I'd like to be prepared for anything. I've applied for BSc finance and economics, but now I'm considering a computer science degree. I've always been interested in software + coding but I haven't done CS a level, only maths so I thought I'd be at a disadvantage as I didn't do it for GCSE. Would it be too late to change courses?

Would it be too late to change courses?
No, but I would notify the university that you're applying to as soon as you can - the later you leave it the more difficult it would become.

Should you wish to do CS at a completely different uni to those who gave you offers, you would either need to consider clearing (not recommended) or reapply via UCAS next year.

Just to be clear, why did you choose finance and economics in the first place and why are you dropping it?
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Would it be too late to change courses?
No, but I would notify the university that you're applying to as soon as you can - the later you leave it the more difficult it would become.

Should you wish to do CS at a completely different uni to those who gave you offers, you would either need to consider clearing (not recommended) or reapply via UCAS next year.

Just to be clear, why did you choose finance and economics in the first place and why are you dropping it?

to be honest, mainly for the money + i've already done work experiences in finance so I thought it was more convenient to do an econ degree but I've always had an interest for CS and don't want to close that door (i've already regretted not doing it at gsce and alevel)
Have you checked the requirements for computer science at the uni you want to go to as you'll still need to have the correct A levels and checking beforehand would make it easier
to be honest, mainly for the money + i've already done work experiences in finance so I thought it was more convenient to do an econ degree but I've always had an interest for CS and don't want to close that door (i've already regretted not doing it at gsce and alevel)

Do note, a 2 week work experience is not the same thing as a 1 month - 1 year internship.
Having said that, you can go into finance with a CS degree (as you might well know), but I am not too sure about economics.

Do also note

having a CS degree won't guarantee that you would get a job in tech. It's much the same with any degree going into any field

you don't necessarily need a CS degree to go into tech

If you want to go into CS because you have more interest in it than economics, then by all means and I wish you luck.

I would still make sure you go to a relatively top end uni for CS where possible though.
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
Do note, a 2 week work experience is not the same thing as a 1 month - 1 year internship.
Having said that, you can go into finance with a CS degree (as you might well know), but I am not too sure about economics.

Do also note

having a CS degree won't guarantee that you would get a job in tech. It's much the same with any degree going into any field

you don't necessarily need a CS degree to go into tech

If you want to go into CS because you have more interest in it than economics, then by all means and I wish you luck.

I would still make sure you go to a relatively top end uni for CS where possible though.

yeah of course, i know that a degree doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed job but essentially I'd like a degree that can open many doors (usually STEM). thank you for your advice. although if I do end up in clearing or switching courses, do they mind if it is quite different?
If you can't change your course and don't want to wait a year, clearing won't necessarily give a bad result. I got into the Lancaster Computer Science and Mathematics course on my first phone call.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Would you want to go to the same uni but different course, or a different uni?

Hi Annabelle,

If you have changed your mind about what or where you want to study, Clearing gives you the opportunity to find a place in a course or university more suited to you.

You can find a place with us at #DerbyUni by messaging us on social media or calling our Clearing hotline on 01332 592023.

Good luck! 🤞

Hey there @annqbellex !

Technically yes you can change your course. But the only ways you could do this is by applying for the new course through clearing or reapplying for the following year. I believe the window has now closed to change courses and switch firm and insurance choices. You can't choose a different course through the same application you've already submitted. Especially since the courses you're choosing in have some differences, you'll have to go through clearing if you want to apply for the other. Clearing is an easy process, all you have to do is ring up the university of your choice's clearing hotline and let them know which course it is you'd like to apply for and it will depend completely on how many spare spaces they have left on the course whether it's available to you. It will also depend on whether your grades match the entry requirements for that course. Sometimes courses want a certain grade in a relevant subject to the course so it will depend on factors like that.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
yeah of course, i know that a degree doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed job but essentially I'd like a degree that can open many doors (usually STEM). thank you for your advice. although if I do end up in clearing or switching courses, do they mind if it is quite different?

I'd like a degree that can open many doors (usually STEM)
Yep, that's usually the case. From what I have seen for most graduate level jobs, you're most likely to get the broadest scope with a degree in physics or engineering (and possibly maths, but you can't really go into engineering with it per se). I think it's down to the programming, numeracy, and problem solving skills that you pick up (as well as knowledge for engineering).
Having said that, if you want to go into healthcare or life sciences, then you would strictly need a specific life science degree.
Most other degrees would either limit you to their field of study in industry, academia in the subject, education (because you can always teach), or jobs that accept any degree/require no degree. I could be wrong though.

if I do end up in clearing or switching courses, do they mind if it is quite different?
The other people on this thread has more or less answered your question, especially @hallamstudents.
As far as I know, it more or less comes down to the individual department, whether they have any spare places, and whether you meet the entry requirements. As you've applied for finance and economics, I presume you have A Level maths, which would be essential to go into CS at most unis.

The students who have managed to switch courses, usually do so with the same uni that they are attending. However, if you specifically want to go to another uni then you likely need to go through clearing, if not apply again next year via UCAS.
If you want to attend a course at a top end uni, I would recommend considering reapplying next year.
Reply 11
Original post by normaw
Would you want to go to the same uni but different course, or a different uni?

ideally the same uni but different course (it's in clearing)
ideally the same uni but different course (it's in clearing)

In that case, you just need to ring your uni and ask for a course swap.
Original post by normaw
In that case, you just need to ring your uni and ask for a course swap.

Exactly this, if any changes are within the same University you have an offer for it's always best to go direct and check with them. Worst case they will say no, they won't withdraw your current offer unless you get placed on the new course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending