The Student Room Group

Confused about interships - seeking advice from those familiar with applying

I am currently in my first year of uni and about to finish first year. I want to know when I should apply to internships. When do the cycles usually start? Most of the internships I have looked at want those in their penultimate year of study does that mean I can only apply to those once I start second year?
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently in my first year of uni and about to finish first year. I want to know when I should apply to internships. When do the cycles usually start? Most of the internships I have looked at want those in their penultimate year of study does that mean I can only apply to those once I start second year?

Hiya

It depends on what sector you're applying for internships in. I'm studying law and law firms have internships open to first years as well. For that, the cycle usually starts in October i.e., the beginning of first year and internships take place either during Easter or Summer. All firms have internships for penultimate years though- again the cycle starts in Sep- Oct. Some schemes are held in winter so the deadline for them is in November, some are held during Easter and some during summer. A quick google search about the internships in your preferred sector should reveal the basic details, like 'Comp sci internships timeline for uni students'.

-Himieka
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,

Internships can be different depending on the sector that it is however whether this is timing of them or what is available to different years of study. My first piece of advice would be to get in contact with either your careers team or your department or even both. As they will most likely be able to point you in the right direction of what is available to you as sometimes some internships are only available to those leaving university.

For Edge Hill there are internship/placement booklets that are released for my department in October for January starts and March for Summer opportunities. So this may be something that the university does that you could keep an eye out for or could give you a potential idea of when internship/placement opportunities are available. However this may differ depending on your sector of study.

You could also yourself look into some careers ideas and companies that you would wish to work for and see if they have opportunities available or when these open for you to apply for as you could take note of this and apply within your second year.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Rebecca - 2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending