The Student Room Group

Manchester for IB or alternative route?

Hi

I currently hold an offer for Economics BSc at Manchester and have achieved the grades for it (AAA incl maths).

Is Manchester a good semi target uni if I wanted to get into investment banking or similar? My alternative is to try apply to places such as Bristol where I am eligible for a lower offer as a standard offer is A*AA and where I would much prefer to go.

Essentially, should I go to Manchester or risk not getting an offer on the next application cycle so that I can go to Bristol or similar (I may end up with 0 offers) OR if I should apply for less competitive courses such as Accounting and Finance (possibly Economics and Management) or is this looked down upon compared to Economics?

TIA
investment banks do not care what course you do, they care what uni you go to. I know someone who got into investment banking with a degree in geography but went into LSE. I would also say Manchester is a low tier semi/non- target Uni for investment banking while Bristol is more of a stronger semi. Id would say Bristol but you would still have to work VERY hard to get into a invesment bank compared to target Uni students or as i have been told could do a less competitive course at a target.
Reply 2
Original post by yupcabra23
investment banks do not care what course you do, they care what uni you go to. I know someone who got into investment banking with a degree in geography but went into LSE. I would also say Manchester is a low tier semi/non- target Uni for investment banking while Bristol is more of a stronger semi. Id would say Bristol but you would still have to work VERY hard to get into a invesment bank compared to target Uni students or as i have been told could do a less competitive course at a target.

How does a geography degree have any relation (or maths) for a job like IB? Surely they prefer degree over uni when it’s something such as geography although lse?
No because they teach you during your intership. Its an easy job so anyone with any degree can become a investment banker, sure doing a numerical/finance subject will give you an advantage if you went to a target school.
Investment banks have over 200,000 applicants each year they prefer target schools like oxbridge and lse beacuse they help determine the best candidates and filter out the rest.
Reply 4
(Original post by yupcabra23)No because they teach you during your intership. Its an easy job so anyone with any degree can become a investment banker, sure doing a numerical/finance subject will give you an advantage if you went to a target school.
Investment banks have over 200,000 applicants each year they prefer target schools like oxbridge and lse beacuse they help determine the best candidates and filter out the rest.

What reputable well paying job recruiters/positions are economic graduates from places like Manchester suited to then?
Reply 5
Original post by yupcabra23

They don't really care what course you do only if you attend a strong target such as Oxbridge, LSE, ICL. If you attend semi-targets then the course definitely matters, getting into IB from a semi target is extremely competitive as you're fighting for the few non-target spots. If they had a choice between 2 equal semi-target from the same uni candidates but one did a quantitative degree and the other did English Literature, they will choose the one that did a quantitative degree over someone who did English Literature for example assuming they were otherwise equal candidates with the same experience/extracurriculars.

In OP's case, it doesn't make much difference as they are all quantitative and finance related.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending