The Student Room Group

How do I secure my degree?

Due to the ignorance of the UCU and universities, it is likely for me to graduate without a degree. There is no help from the SU as they are useless, and students like me are left helpless. I paid all my tuition on time yet I am punished for things that isn't my fault. Can I withhold my tuition until the uni gurantees me my degree?
Original post by habaan
Due to the ignorance of the UCU and universities, it is likely for me to graduate without a degree. There is no help from the SU as they are useless, and students like me are left helpless. I paid all my tuition on time yet I am punished for things that isn't my fault. Can I withhold my tuition until the uni gurantees me my degree?

Your reference to the the University and College Union suggests that perhaps you're being impacted by strikes? Is that the thrust of your question? (If so, why not just say that?)

What is the impact? Are you saying that the strikes have impacted your education, meaning that your will be unable to pass your exams? Or are you saying that due to the strikes the exams aren't being held? Or aren't being marked? Or some other which I've not managed to successfully guess?

There's little point in anyone attempting to respond to your post if they have to guess what your actual issue is.
Reply 2
Thank you pointing that out. I wasnt able to do so as there is a 88 character limit to a post. The strikes have definitely affected my learning experience and I am glad that my self disicipline and interest in history has kept me going without much trouble. However, since there is a marketing boycott now, which will determine if I would be awarded a degree, I am provided with no gurantee that I will be able to graduate with a degree that I have paid for. Yet, the uni insists on going though with congregation (obviously because there is much to profit from), making the situation more frustrating than ever. I currently have a conditional offer from another university for a master's degree, and it requrires me to graduate my bachelors with a 2:1. So, I dont see why I should pay for the remaining of my tuition if I am not guranteed my degree. Thanks in advance.

Original post by DataVenia
Your reference to the the University and College Union suggests that perhaps you're being impacted by strikes? Is that the thrust of your question? (If so, why not just say that?)

What is the impact? Are you saying that the strikes have impacted your education, meaning that your will be unable to pass your exams? Or are you saying that due to the strikes the exams aren't being held? Or aren't being marked? Or some other which I've not managed to successfully guess?

There's little point in anyone attempting to respond to your post if they have to guess what your actual issue is.
I'm still not clear what the exact issue is, but most unis will not award you a degree if you are in arrears with them.

If they did, they'd just be left chasing debt for years.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I'm still not clear what the exact issue is, but most unis will not award you a degree if you are in arrears with them.

If they did, they'd just be left chasing debt for years.

The issue is that I won't get my degree if the teachers dont mark my dissertation and exam. Without a mark for modules that make up to 60% of my degree, I wont be able to graduate with a degree (at least not with one that is credible to employers). This means that even if I continue to pay my tutition, I am still not guranteed my degree, so why should I pay for it? It's just like you would not pay for food that was not served when you visit a restaurant. So I dont understand how there isnt a problem if I am not getting a degree even though I have completed all course work and have paid all fees to date.
Original post by habaan
However, since there is a marketing boycott now, which will determine if I would be awarded a degree, I am provided with no gurantee that I will be able to graduate with a degree that I have paid for.

I must admit it took me longer that it should have to realise that you were talking about the "marking boycott". It just made no sense to me (a) why there would be a marketing boycott, and (b) why that would impact your degree. :confused: I finally understand what you're thread is all about...

Original post by habaan
The issue is that I won't get my degree if the teachers dont mark my dissertation and exam. Without a mark for modules that make up to 60% of my degree, I wont be able to graduate with a degree (at least not with one that is credible to employers). This means that even if I continue to pay my tutition, I am still not guranteed my degree, so why should I pay for it? It's just like you would not pay for food that was not served when you visit a restaurant. So I dont understand how there isnt a problem if I am not getting a degree even though I have completed all course work and have paid all fees to date.

What have your university said with regards to awards and graduation? For example, I note that the University of Edinburgh have said it had "robust measures" in place and all students' assessments and work - including dissertations - will be read and marked. They also said, "We are making every effort to provide results, degree award outcomes and progression decisions to students by the published timelines." Has your university said anything similar?
Reply 6
I must admit it took me longer that it should have to realise that you were talking about the "marking boycott". It just made no sense to me (a) why there would be a marketing boycott, and (b) why that would impact your degree. :confused: I finally understand what you're thread is all about...

What have your university said with regards to awards and graduation? For example, I note that the University of Edinburgh have said it had "robust measures" in place and all students' assessments and work - including dissertations - will be read and marked. They also said, "We are making every effort to provide results, degree award outcomes and progression decisions to students by the published timelines." Has your university said anything similar?

In their email, they said and I quote,
"Our sincere hope is that the number of staff taking part remains low and that you will not be affected."

"Under our regulations, we can award degrees to students where the significant majority of marks of assessment credits are available." To graduate, I will need 240 credits. I already have 120 from my second year, which only count towards 40% of my final degree. The remainder 120 are distributed between 3 final year modules, which are 60 40 20 credit. I have exams for both the 60 and 20 credit modules, in which exams take up 60%. The 40 credit module is my dissertation and it count towards 100% of the module. Unfortunantely, all 3 teachers are striking which means that I wont be getting my 120 final year credits.

"Students with all assessment marks available will receive their final degree classification and a final transcript.
In cases where some assessment marks are missing, a degree will be awarded where the programme learning outcomes are met if marks for at least half of final year assessments are available.
If some marks are missing, you will receive an interim transcript of your marks that can be used as evidence of your achievements, pending final degree classification.
Your final degree classification will take place once all outstanding marks are available and without undue delay."
As mentioned, I dont have half my work marked because of the UCU strike. An interim report is not what I pay for nor will it suffice for any credible employer/university.
Original post by habaan

From what I've read here you will be awarded a degree but it might potentially be later than expected depending on how the strike action plays out.

Not paying won't achieve anything beyond definitely delaying the award even further and eventually getting yourself referred to a debt collection agency.
Reply 8
Original post by habaan

If you withhold fees you'll never get the degree. Take the moral high ground .. you need to communicate with where you plan to do a Masters.
Original post by habaan
In their email, they said and I quote,
"Our sincere hope is that the number of staff taking part remains low and that you will not be affected."

"Under our regulations, we can award degrees to students where the significant majority of marks of assessment credits are available." To graduate, I will need 240 credits. I already have 120 from my second year, which only count towards 40% of my final degree. The remainder 120 are distributed between 3 final year modules, which are 60 40 20 credit. I have exams for both the 60 and 20 credit modules, in which exams take up 60%. The 40 credit module is my dissertation and it count towards 100% of the module. Unfortunantely, all 3 teachers are striking which means that I wont be getting my 120 final year credits.

"Students with all assessment marks available will receive their final degree classification and a final transcript.
In cases where some assessment marks are missing, a degree will be awarded where the programme learning outcomes are met if marks for at least half of final year assessments are available.
If some marks are missing, you will receive an interim transcript of your marks that can be used as evidence of your achievements, pending final degree classification.
Your final degree classification will take place once all outstanding marks are available and without undue delay."
As mentioned, I dont have half my work marked because of the UCU strike. An interim report is not what I pay for nor will it suffice for any credible employer/university.

Earlier you said, "I currently have a conditional offer from another university for a master's degree, and it requrires me to graduate my bachelors with a 2:1."

I assume you've been in contact with them to ask what stance they'll be taking?
Reply 10
Earlier you said, "I currently have a conditional offer from another university for a master's degree, and it requrires me to graduate my bachelors with a 2:1."

I assume you've been in contact with them to ask what stance they'll be taking?

I have an MSc offer at KCL, my current uni (royal holloway) need to provide me with: provisional degree certificate, official letter on header paper, and a transcript they deem final. These are the requirements from KCL.

I have one module unmarked (even taking i get 0/100 I would have the grades for my MSc).

For the last month I have been trying to get my department(EPMS) to provide me with these 3 documents, with no success. They don't reply to my emails, and when calling the office, they tell me to wait to the end of the week for a response, my email is on the to-do list. Still no email responses ...

So I raised a formal complaint with my Uni, long story short "Academic Investigations team will be taking no further action at this stage", they have just forwarded my complaint to the EPMS manager, I don't know what to expect, and there is only another month until the deadline (and start) of the MSc course.

What do I do now, the deadline is a month away, and I've been actively trying to get updates/help for a month, with absolutely no progress from my department?!
Original post by Raph6
I have an MSc offer at KCL, my current uni (royal holloway) need to provide me with: provisional degree certificate, official letter on header paper, and a transcript they deem final. These are the requirements from KCL.

I have one module unmarked (even taking i get 0/100 I would have the grades for my MSc).

For the last month I have been trying to get my department(EPMS) to provide me with these 3 documents, with no success. They don't reply to my emails, and when calling the office, they tell me to wait to the end of the week for a response, my email is on the to-do list. Still no email responses ...

So I raised a formal complaint with my Uni, long story short "Academic Investigations team will be taking no further action at this stage", they have just forwarded my complaint to the EPMS manager, I don't know what to expect, and there is only another month until the deadline (and start) of the MSc course.

What do I do now, the deadline is a month away, and I've been actively trying to get updates/help for a month, with absolutely no progress from my department?!

That sounds very frustrating. Other than continuing to do what you've been doing, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Do you know why the Academic Investigations team decided to take no further action? Perhaps they've just learned that administrative incompetence is all that you can expect. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending