The Student Room Group

My degree apprenticeship dilemma

Hi guys,

I'm a year 13 student with an offer for the air software engineering degree apprenticeship at BAE systems, as well as the software with data degree apprenticeship at Jaguar Land Rover.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to which one to pick- on the one hand, Jaguar is with a nicer uni (Warwick as opposed to central Lancashire); on the other hand, BAE has a significantly higher starting salary. Both lead to a similar degree.

So my question is: which program sounds better to you? And which company is more reputable and well respected by future employers in your opinion?

Any comments/ opinions would be much appreciated,
Thanks!
How large is the salary difference? Which course (title) at Warwick?
There is no way this is real. Probably a satire thread
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
How large is the salary difference? Which course (title) at Warwick?

The difference is £5000 (both are fairly nice starting salaries though)
The course is digital and technology solutions which I believe is pretty much Warwick's version of software engineering specifically for their degree apprenticeship programs
Original post by George_A*
Hi guys,

I'm a year 13 student with an offer for the air software engineering degree apprenticeship at BAE systems, as well as the software with data degree apprenticeship at Jaguar Land Rover.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to which one to pick- on the one hand, Jaguar is with a nicer uni (Warwick as opposed to central Lancashire); on the other hand, BAE has a significantly higher starting salary. Both lead to a similar degree.

So my question is: which program sounds better to you? And which company is more reputable and well respected by future employers in your opinion?

Any comments/ opinions would be much appreciated,
Thanks!

I'd personally go with BAE. Far more exciting things happening in defence and probably more secure than working in the motor industry. Very lucrative contracting positions too once you establish yourself in the industry and get your security clearance.
You have fantastic offers! I’ve known people who have worked at each company for over 15 years and had good experiences. How do you feel about the locations?
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
You have fantastic offers! I’ve known people who have worked at each company for over 15 years and had good experiences. How do you feel about the locations?

Thanks, I'm fairly happy about them too!
So the BAE program is in Yeovil, which is much closer to my current home (not really commutable long term, but certainly close enough that I could commute for a few months if I had to, and also closer to friends and family, which I would appreciate)
Jag is up near Warwick, which is nice because it's closer to the Uni and some bigger cities (like Birmingham), but definitely not commutable and it would be further from family.
I guess each has it's pros and cons, BAE would give me the opportunity to come home more often, while jag would take me out of my comfort zone completely (which is no bad thing in my opinion)
Which company do you get the better impression of generally?
Reply 7
Original post by Blue_Cow
I'd personally go with BAE. Far more exciting things happening in defence and probably more secure than working in the motor industry. Very lucrative contracting positions too once you establish yourself in the industry and get your security clearance.

That's great advice, thanks, especially your point about job security. I don't think most people are going to have too much disposable income over the next few years, which probably won't help the luxury car industry, while defence will always do well! Not really something I'd considered but an interesting perspective:smile:
Do you remember the questions for the hirevue assessment? I need to do mine in the next couple days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending