The Student Room Group

i am anxious for A levels because i will start at 19- should i be?

hello, i just need some comfort and encouragement.

i left my home country (Philippines) at 15 (turning 16 that year) to join my father in his home country (Pakistan). The change in culture and school environtment (there are no GCSEs or A level in philippines) did not impact me until covid hit less than a year later and my father pulled me out of school for a year. When i went back, i was a 17 year old, depressed mess. That year i did not take the exams for the remaining 5 GCSEs because of internet addiction and ruined mental health and the year after (18) my pakistani ID was expired which took a little over 5 months. i will now do the Oct/Nov exams this year (will turn 19 this september).

I am anxious of A levels honestly. more so over the fact that id be 2/3 years older than my classmates (if i get into a school). I just want to know if my situation was understandable or just an excuse ive been making up to comfort myself? Do i have to worry about my age? (there is no free education in pakistan no matter the year or age if youre not in government schools and its rare for government schools to teach O/A levels iirc)
Struggling with your mental health is a valid reason to delay your education- it's not "just an excuse". So don't beat yourself up about what already happened. You can't change your past but you can focus on the present so you have a better future. It's never too late to get an education so don't worry about being older than your classmates. Everyone goes through life at different paces and there's no reason to rush through it. Just focus on yourself and trying your best. Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Struggling with your mental health is a valid reason to delay your education- it's not "just an excuse". So don't beat yourself up about what already happened. You can't change your past but you can focus on the present so you have a better future. It's never too late to get an education so don't worry about being older than your classmates. Everyone goes through life at different paces and there's no reason to rush through it. Just focus on yourself and trying your best. Good luck!!

Very well said. Mental health is VERY important. I also had to delay my A-level examinations till next year because of my mental health, and I will be 19 going into year 13. It’s never too late my friend, keep pushing :smile:
Reply 3
noo u dont have to worry about ur age at all :biggrin: a swift change in curriculum and mental health did not help either, it is totally understandable. You can't change the past but you can always change the outcome of your future, so do that instead. Just study well for your a levels and don't be ashamed of your age, it's actually quite normal! My father was an immigrant from yemen and did his a levels at 19! never too late. best of luck! sending u hugs from a fellow kabayan :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest