The Student Room Group

Secondary data or literature review?

Im doing my dissertation & I am using a government report to see what’s in place. I’m then using literature/journals review whether they’re effective. What’s my methodology? In our ppt support guide it just says to use one or the other?
Reply 1
I am finding your question confusing.
Are you doing a case-study of a government report into something?
"I’m then using literature/journals review whether they’re effective" - exactly what is meant by "they're"?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Sorry for the lack of clarification. This is why my dissertation is a pile of garbage & I will submit anything, I have no energy

My research aim: mental health services in universities, & their effectiveness in promoting student well-being

What I’ve done is used a govt report to see what is in place it lists all the services & then I’ve used journal articles to see whether they are effective e.g counselling, CBT, digital intervention etc.

What I did is completely wrong but I’m not going to change anything now will submit & call it a day hope I don’t fail
Reply 3
It’s due in 5 days but I’m nowhere near finished, I’ll submit an unfinished one if I have to, i’m undergrad but I can’t manage uni stress T-T
Reply 4
In terms of the methodology section, at the very least you can set out how you went about your research and why, and what the strengths and limitations of each decision were.

What I’ve done is used a govt report to see what is in place explain how you found the report, whether you considered a number of reports and why you picked this one + in what ways was this report a valid and reliable source of data. Explain how you intend to use the report in your discussion.

I’ve used journal articles to see whether they are effective e.g counselling, CBT, digital intervention etc. - how did you find the journal articles you have used, what databases did you use, what search terms, and how you made sure that the sample of articles was sufficient an relevant for conducting the research.

Did you use other secondary sources such university websites, materials relating to student mental health etc? If you did, how did you select them etc.

Other things you can consider
- are you working to a particular date range or year(s) + why was this picked
- you are looking at the university sector - how did you define this within the research - UK wide, England + Wales, etc. and why.
-are you looking at partiular universities as case studies - in which case how and why
-have you limited you research to particular psychotherapeutic modalities + if so why.

In other words, even if you don't have a clear idea of what methodology you are using, you can at least give a detailed account of how you went about your research. Use headings to create sections and bash out an account for what decisions you made + why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending