The Student Room Group

How to get an A* in geography NEA

My school is refusing to provide any useful resources in regards to the NEA. I recognise that we aren't allowed direct feedback but we haven't even been told how to properly structure it and what needs to be included.

I want to get an A*. What should the structure look like? What data should it include? My question is looking at regeneration.

If anyone would be able to send me their one it would be greatly appreciated. I guarantee everything would be kept confidential. Also if you School has provided any resources please share them.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

message me! currently halfway through mine and we can struggle together x i have been provided with mark schemes, tick lists and also exemplars x
Original post by fruitsalads
My school is refusing to provide any useful resources in regards to the NEA. I recognise that we aren't allowed direct feedback but we haven't even been told how to properly structure it and what needs to be included.

I want to get an A*. What should the structure look like? What data should it include? My question is looking at regeneration.

If anyone would be able to send me their one it would be greatly appreciated. I guarantee everything would be kept confidential. Also if you School has provided any resources please share them.

Hi,

Overall: Use this link and follow this examples plan that got full marks and you will do well, it helped me massively for structure, data and presentation;

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/geography/AQA-70373-NEA-G.PDF

I got 57/60 in my NEA and i'm not going to lie to you, it took a lot of effort, but you clearly have the drive to do well in it as you are here in the first place!
Basically, my NEA was split into 4 sections which I did seperately and and merged together; 1) Introduction, 2) Methodology for data collection, 3) Data anaylsis, 4) Conclusions on the data. (Have your teaches told you about this structure for your NEA?)

My question was about measuring the carbon sequestration rate of trees in my local park, based on my teachers advise that a physical geography NEA would be easier, which it was but that was just my opinion.

Data included raw figures that I derived from measuring aspects of tree, calculations, charts/graphs, Spearman's Rank, hand-drawn graphs etc.

Adding images into your NEA helps, but a lots of detailed text will also add marks to your overall score.

My advise would be to collect as much data as you can, doesnt even matter if its completely wrong agasint your hypothesis (or made up as I did!) as you can just state these facts in your anaylsis, then go to your teachers and breif them on this 4 stage plan as it will help you. Then begin to plan what you can say for each stage.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Olly_Kail
Hi,

Overall: Use this link and follow this examples plan that got full marks and you will do well, it helped me massively for structure, data and presentation;

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/geography/AQA-70373-NEA-G.PDF

I got 57/60 in my NEA and i'm not going to lie to you, it took a lot of effort, but you clearly have the drive to do well in it as you are here in the first place!
Basically, my NEA was split into 4 sections which I did seperately and and merged together; 1) Introduction, 2) Methodology for data collection, 3) Data anaylsis, 4) Conclusions on the data. (Have your teaches told you about this structure for your NEA?)

My question was about measuring the carbon sequestration rate of trees in my local park, based on my teachers advise that a physical geography NEA would be easier, which it was but that was just my opinion.

Data included raw figures that I derived from measuring aspects of tree, calculations, charts/graphs, Spearman's Rank, hand-drawn graphs etc.

Adding images into your NEA helps, but a lots of detailed text will also add marks to your overall score.

My advise would be to collect as much data as you can, doesnt even matter if its completely wrong agasint your hypothesis (or made up as I did!) as you can just state these facts in your anaylsis, then go to your teachers and breif them on this 4 stage plan as it will help you. Then begin to plan what you can say for each stage.

Hope this helps!

this is so helpful, thank you! i am guessing that you’re a second year student and did your project over the summer? i would have done thw same but had a serious operation unfortunately :frown: i checked the exemplar and have realised that my coursework is on a similar topic, but for the gentrification of a different area in london! my teacher hasn’t raised any issues with this though and has read through a lot of what i have done so far, so i am guessing me having a similar project to the exemplar without realising isn’t bad?

Basically, my NEA was split into 4 sections which I did seperately and and merged together; 1) Introduction, 2) Methodology for data collection, 3) Data anaylsis, 4) Conclusions on the data.

this is weird i did exactly the same structure, plus subsections for things like data analysis, sampling etc

i recommend this structure
Glad you found it helpful!I’ve actually finished my A levels so just message did you want some assistance.
Glad you found it helpful!I’ve actually finished my A levels so just message did you want some assistance.

what was your balance of primary and secondary data?
I achieved full marks on the NEA; on top of everything else that's been said I want to emphasise the importance of using more advanced data presentation techniques. Use GIS (ArcGIS is a good free tool), present data cartographically - all in all you want to move beyond using the graphs on Excel, put some actual effort into your data presentation and it will pay dividends in upping your banding.
Original post by fruitsalads
what was your balance of primary and secondary data?

Primary was like the figures i got from measuring trees and calulations i did.

Secondary data was like climate change figures, global sequestration averages, tree species density/prevalance.
Reply 9
Original post by originals416

how did you get on in the end i have to hand mine in after easter !
Reply 10
Original post by ?Hannah?
message me! currently halfway through mine and we can struggle together x i have been provided with mark schemes, tick lists and also exemplars x

hi how did you get on in the end i have to hand in after easter !

Hi i know its a year later but could you send me your nea or give me some advice im struggling, how did it end up going?
Original post by Alice12346
Hi i know its a year later but could you send me your nea or give me some advice im struggling, how did it end up going?

yeah same, im doing the structure of Literature review - introduction - methodology - analysis of methodology - conclusions on the data and im adding A LOT of secondary data like graphs and maps
Reply 13
do you still have the checklists, marks schemes etc? I have no ides where to start
Hi i have submitted my NEA but i obviously dont know the mark yet hahah. I have quite a few resources message me :smile:

Hi i literally just made an account for this just to ask you if you can send me some of the mark schemes and exemplars as I am currently doing my NEA and teachers are providing no support.
Reply 16
Original post by Alice12346
Hi i have submitted my NEA but i obviously dont know the mark yet hahah. I have quite a few resources message me :smile:

what was you NEA on ??
What sort of length should I be aiming at because I've finished my Introduction, Methodology and Data presentation/analysis and I'm on about 5500 words with conclusion and evaluation left to do? I know there's not a set length but wanted to know roughly if I need to condense or go into more detail because I feel I've exhausted everything I can think of so far :biggrin:
Also I'm doing mine on rebranding of an area and how successful it is, so if anyone wants help or to share ideas just message me :smile:
Thank you !
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mitchellday
What sort of length should I be aiming at because I've finished my Introduction, Methodology and Data presentation/analysis and I'm on about 5500 words with conclusion and evaluation left to do? I know there's not a set length but wanted to know roughly if I need to condense or go into more detail because I feel I've exhausted everything I can think of so far :biggrin:
Also I'm doing mine on rebranding of an area and how successful it is, so if anyone wants help or to share ideas just message me :smile:
Thank you !

Make a new thread, this one is over a year old :smile:
Original post by HaydenFordz
Make a new thread, this one is over a year old :smile:

Will do, thanks
didn't look tbh lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending