The Student Room Group

How can I get rid of low motivation?

I've been taking prescribed antipsychotics since 2018 and will be off the lowest dose in 9 days. I don't have any symptoms left apart from fatigue and low motivation. Before getting psychosis in 2018, I was a really motivated university student. However, after the first episode which lasted for 14 months, my motivation started gradually dwindling away. When covid hit and lockdowns happened for two years, I was stuck just doing some outlying exams for university and my grade 8 piano exam. I got a 4 week mini episode in April 2022 and then afterwards I just decided to drop out of university completely just taking away a BSc.

I constantly feel like there's no point in trying in anything because what happens if another psychotic episode comes and I have to delay exams or anything else. I'm bored of doing university for 8 years of what should've been a 4 year course. In the end, I even lost my passion for Geology and Physics. I've now switched over to pursuing a music career by doing 10 hours of teaching a week. It's much more manageable but I'm left with nothing to do in the mornings and afternoons. I don't think there's anything I'm really passionate about. I'm bored of practicing piano also but don't mind teaching the kids. Yet, this wasn't the path I originally was aiming for. A bit lost now.
Original post by GeolPhysics
I've been taking prescribed antipsychotics since 2018 and will be off the lowest dose in 9 days. I don't have any symptoms left apart from fatigue and low motivation. Before getting psychosis in 2018, I was a really motivated university student. However, after the first episode which lasted for 14 months, my motivation started gradually dwindling away. When covid hit and lockdowns happened for two years, I was stuck just doing some outlying exams for university and my grade 8 piano exam. I got a 4 week mini episode in April 2022 and then afterwards I just decided to drop out of university completely just taking away a BSc.

I constantly feel like there's no point in trying in anything because what happens if another psychotic episode comes and I have to delay exams or anything else. I'm bored of doing university for 8 years of what should've been a 4 year course. In the end, I even lost my passion for Geology and Physics. I've now switched over to pursuing a music career by doing 10 hours of teaching a week. It's much more manageable but I'm left with nothing to do in the mornings and afternoons. I don't think there's anything I'm really passionate about. I'm bored of practicing piano also but don't mind teaching the kids. Yet, this wasn't the path I originally was aiming for. A bit lost now.

Hello,
I recently made a post about low motivation like this on my 'blog' Weekly wins and woes. You can read it if you like (warining: It's a little long). It's in the mental health section.

Quick Reply

Latest