The Student Room Group

Gcses and mental health

I leave school soon and im in the middle of gcses and im feeling really down and upset and I've mentioned it to my PSO (pastoral support officer) in multiple emails and I feel like she just doesn't really gets how serious it is and kind "glosses" over it? Any kind advice would be appreciated it as im really struggling
Original post by hellloooj
I leave school soon and im in the middle of gcses and im feeling really down and upset and I've mentioned it to my PSO (pastoral support officer) in multiple emails and I feel like she just doesn't really gets how serious it is and kind "glosses" over it? Any kind advice would be appreciated it as im really struggling

Why are you struggling / feeling down? Because of the GCSEs (exam stress etc.)? Because you're leaving school, and you'll miss your friends? Because of the unknown of what will happen after school? Or something completely different?
Reply 2
all of those GCSEs anxiety and then leaving school and friends and teachers
Original post by DataVenia
Why are you struggling / feeling down? Because of the GCSEs (exam stress etc.)? Because you're leaving school, and you'll miss your friends? Because of the unknown of what will happen after school? Or something completely different?
Original post by hellloooj
all of those GCSEs anxiety and then leaving school and friends and teachers

OK. Anxiety and fear are natural human emotions. They're our body's alarm system. They occur in response to situations where we may be in danger or at risk for some kind of harm. Fear is an emotion that is experienced when we are actually in a dangerous situation, whereas anxiety is an emotion that occurs when we expect or anticipate that something unpleasant may happen.

Being able to anticipate that something unpleasant may happen is actually a very useful thing from an evolutionary perspective. Imagine a prehistoric human just wandering into a dark cave for shelter, with no concern whatsoever about what might already be in the cave. Such a person is likely to find themself mortally wounded and unable to pass on their anxiety-free genes to the next generation.

Being anxious tends to steer us away from dangerous situations - like a "spidey-sense". Just as Peter Parker does, we get problems with our spidey-sense kicks into overdrive. That's what's happening with you right now, due to GCSEs.

What date is your last GCSE? Mark it on a calendar. How many days away is that? OK, so take each day between now one day at a time. Cross them off as you get through them. Celebrate in some small way once you're a full week through. And again after the next week. Before you know it you'll be half way through and, soon after that, it'll all be done.

If you're worry about missing your friends once you've left school, then arrange to meet up with some of them over the summer holidays. Just because you won't be seeing them every day doesn't mean you can't stay in touch. Many people report that they're still friends with people they knew from school decades later.

Quick Reply

Latest