The Student Room Group

Question about diagnosing dyspraxia

Hello, in the past, my parents have noted that I have very bad motor coordination which was super present in my bad handwriting, which was like the most illegible doctor's handwriting at best (Still is, just a tiny bit better). My parents have suspected I have dyspraxia for a while. So due to this I was recently looking up causes of dyspraxia, and they look scarily close to my own circumstances (Mother initially did not know she was pregnant and learnt so after a night out with drinking (I should note, she did not know, I am not being snide; I love my mother), and I was born early by a couple of months). This was not a problem at GCSE, as they provided me with access arrangements, but at A level, my sixth form have not given me any arrangements, so because I cannot legibly write at a good pace, I have to slow down, which was not an issue for me before. This had led me from being an all 9 student at GCSE to projected grades of A*AAA (Which although high, are still not enough for maths at Cambridge (Min A*A*AA), but I know very well this writing part is what limits me, as the difference in marks with a computer vs non-computer is just absurd). So my question was, if I had an official diagnosis of dyspraxia, would the college have to provide arrangements, or would it be pointless? As I am stressing out about my A levels next year, where if I do not have a laptop, I physically might be unable to get the grades I need, and the thought scare me greatly. I should note: I was been in writing aid classes for a couple years but gave up on it as I tried everything suggested to me, but nothing works, but I am not officially diagnosed, so would it be worth looking into this for exams, or would it still not guarantee exam arrangements? Once again, my apologies as I do not wish to sound pitiful/accidentally say I have it when I do not as that would be disrespectful, but I am really worried about it as it might screw me out of the top universities.

Quick Reply

Latest