The Student Room Group

Debilitating anxiety during A levels

During the A level period i have been feeling incredibly anxious and have been having panic attacks and im looking for advice.

Over the last few days i have been feeling incredibly anxious at night particularly as i got no sleep last night and the day before only a few hours. and the previous days weren't much better. this probably has only exacerbated my feelings

during the night:
i feel physically ill
have a knot in my stomach
I have been uncontrollably shacking even thought im not cold
my heart is constantly palpitating
and my breathing has been verry sporadic and uncontrollable.
and these all seem to worsen when i try to prepare for sleep.

this has had major effects primarily during my time trying to go to sleep but also during the day were i have also been struggling feeling very ill. and im worried that this will effect my revision and test taking ability alongside making my days feel terrible.

i was writing to ask if anyone had any real solutions as nothing that i have tried has worked, ive to some extent tried all the various internet methods easily accessible and have taken kalms tablets that have done little to help.

im not often anxious but have experienced similar symptoms during various important moments were you would be more stressed due to school. im also curious as to how severe what im feeling is and what i should do about it.

im also not particularly sure why i feel the way i do, im doing moderately well in A levels and don't have another exam for quite a while but it has only worsened.

any advice welcome.
Reply 1
I’m so sorry you are feeling this way. Have you told the people you live with how you are feeling?

I would honestly urge you to make an urgent GP appointment. They can offer you both short term solutions that are likely to work very quickly as well as longer term coping strategies.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
During the A level period i have been feeling incredibly anxious and have been having panic attacks and im looking for advice.

Over the last few days i have been feeling incredibly anxious at night particularly as i got no sleep last night and the day before only a few hours. and the previous days weren't much better. this probably has only exacerbated my feelings

during the night:
i feel physically ill

this has had major effects primarily during my time trying to go to sleep but also during the day were i have also been struggling feeling very ill. and im worried that this will effect my revision and test taking ability alongside making my days feel terrible.

i was writing to ask if anyone had any real solutions as nothing that i have tried has worked, ive to some extent tried all the various internet methods easily accessible and have taken kalms tablets that have done little to help.

im not often anxious but have experienced similar symptoms during various important moments were you would be more stressed due to school. im also curious as to how severe what im feeling is and what i should do about it.

im also not particularly sure why i feel the way i do, im doing moderately well in A levels and don't have another exam for quite a while but it has only worsened.

any advice welcome.

I think your biggest priority is not your exams its your health atm
Reply 3

during the night:
i feel physically ill

any advice welcome.

what works best for me is taking cbd oil, jersey hemp is what i use and i ordered the oil online and use it whenever i’m nervous. it also helps me fall asleep sometimes. it does say take 5-10 drops but i usually take around 2/3 and it has a good enough effect :smile:
Reply 4
I start my alevels in eleven days and I’ve never experienced anxiety like this before. I’ve never experienced panic attacks before today but have had 2 in the last three hours and it’s awful I really hope it doesn’t affect me the next few days.
I’ve never had to deal with this kind of anxiety before too since our GCSEs were cancelled because of covid
Reply 5
Original post by malaikax04
I start my alevels in eleven days and I’ve never experienced anxiety like this before. I’ve never experienced panic attacks before today but have had 2 in the last three hours and it’s awful I really hope it doesn’t affect me the next few days.
I’ve never had to deal with this kind of anxiety before too since our GCSEs were cancelled because of covid

Yeah, that's kind of part of the problem like you im usually not an anxious person, so all of this is a big shock
Reply 6
Yeah that's why I've asked whilst i have a 10 day break in between exams to hopefully get myself sorted and i get what you mean, but i do need to get some good marks for a level

I think your biggest priority is not your exams its your health atm
Reply 7
Original post by Oxfordbecky
I’m so sorry you are feeling this way. Have you told the people you live with how you are feeling?

I would honestly urge you to make an urgent GP appointment. They can offer you both short term solutions that are likely to work very quickly as well as longer term coping strategies.

yes my parents are aware as I've talked about how i cant sleep.

if this continues the way it has been for another day or so i might ask to book one as its quite annoying to deal with and will hurt my performance in exams
Reply 8
what works best for me is taking cbd oil, jersey hemp is what i use and i ordered the oil online and use it whenever i’m nervous. it also helps me fall asleep sometimes. it does say take 5-10 drops but i usually take around 2/3 and it has a good enough effect :smile:

that might be a hard sell on my parent's but ill look into it. thanks
Reply 9

during the night:
i feel physically ill

any advice welcome.

so sorry this is how you feel- I can relate and its honestly awful.

it sounds like the anxiety is really impacting you; as others have said in this thread I would recommend speaking to someone (doesn't have to be a GP!) as it can be great to just get it out, but if its still bad I do genuinely think the doctor is your best option as they might be able to prescribe you something. all the symptoms you have listed can be related to anxiety but I would also make sure to get it checked you are not genuinely unwell with a physical illness as they can overlap/severe stress can sometimes bring it on.

for things you can buy, I use rescue remedy drops and lavender oil + make sure to try and relax in the evening before you go to sleep, ideally at least an hour before (dimming lights, watching something nice etc). stress/fidget toys are also great for anxiety.

all that said, I know how irritating advice like this can be sometimes when it just feels so horrendous and as you said, debilitating. please make sure to look after yourself as nothing is more important than your physical and mental health, even these exams. try and think about the relief you will feel when they are over- not long to go now. :smile:

sending hugs!
Yeah that's why I've asked whilst i have a 10 day break in between exams to hopefully get myself sorted and i get what you mean, but i do need to get some good marks for a level

Sorry for the late reply but why do you need good marks so much? Surely your health should be more important than anything

Quick Reply

Latest