The Student Room Group

I'm Scared To Get My Hopes Up - Help?

Poll

I'm Scared To Get My Hopes Up - Help?

I'm currently in the process of sending a video audition to a University I applied for. I keep thinking that the sooner I sort everything out for student life (e.g things to buy for my dorm and other essentials) the better. However, something is stopping me from doing this.

I honestly believe I have what is referred to as 'cherophobia', meaning I am scared that badness will come after good things happen in my life, because balance. In this case, I don't want to get my hopes up and get all excited about what student life will be life, just to have my hopes crushed by a rejection.

I had a similar thing happen with another University that I was rejected from after an interview. I guess I just don't want it to be a waste of time. I'm just terrified to be happy. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Its understandable that you would be nervous after getting rejected the first time. You have to 'get back in the saddle' and try again. Dont tie yourself up in knots like this.
It's your mind's way of rationalizing the situation. You got rejected from one uni post-interview and it was (understandably) very frustrating, so now you feel afraid to be hopeful in case the same thing happens again. I'd say don't think about it. The decision is not in your hands, so why worry about something you can't control? Besides, each uni looks for something different in applicants' profiles - just because you got rejected from one doesn't mean the same will happen now. Life has it's own way of sorting things out :wink: Best of luck to you! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Elzyy
I'm currently in the process of sending a video audition to a University I applied for. I keep thinking that the sooner I sort everything out for student life (e.g things to buy for my dorm and other essentials) the better. However, something is stopping me from doing this.

I honestly believe I have what is referred to as 'cherophobia', meaning I am scared that badness will come after good things happen in my life, because balance. In this case, I don't want to get my hopes up and get all excited about what student life will be life, just to have my hopes crushed by a rejection.

I had a similar thing happen with another University that I was rejected from after an interview. I guess I just don't want it to be a waste of time. I'm just terrified to be happy. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

My underlining question is: Should I be preparing myself for University now while there's still the possibility of disappointment, or should I wait?

Quick Reply

Latest