The Student Room Group

Help trig urgent

Help I was gonna ask… what did equals in double angle formulaIMG_2629.jpeg is it 2sin2theta?

And also for this q…
I dint get how to do it… this is what I’ve got so far but I’m super stuck 😭 I’ve gon my final a levels in 5days IMG_2630.jpegIMG_2631.jpegIMG_2632.jpegit’s part V I’m stuck on
(edited 11 months ago)
sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x
is this sin4theta?

if so, use sin(A+B) = SinACosB + SinBCosA

using A and B both 2 theta. Using that, you should get:
2Sin(2theta)Cos(2theta)

Use the same trick again with sin, but for Cos, use Cos(A+B) = SinACosA + SinBCosB, taking A and B both as Theta.

Now You should be able to simplify it further.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Help I was gonna ask… what did equals in double angle formulais it 2sin2theta?

And also for this q…
I dint get how to do it… this is what I’ve got so far but I’m super stuck 😭 I’ve gon my final a levels in 5days
it’s part V I’m stuck on

No sin 4x = 2 sin 2x cos2x
Reply 4
Original post by user8937264980
sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x

Does it become 2sin2x first and then I do the double angle thing and multiply by the 2 infront?
I get a diff answer.
Can u plz explain how to get what u got IMG_2634.jpeg
Reply 5
Original post by PerfectOrganism
is this sin4theta?

if so, use sin(A+B) = SinACosB + SinBCosA

using A and B both 2 theta. Using that, you should get:
2Sin(2theta)Cos(2theta)

Use the same trick again with sin, but for Cos, use Cos(A+B) = SinACosA + SinBCosB, taking A and B both as Theta.

Now You should be able to simplify it further.

Hope this helps!

Do I take the two out to the front like this
2sin(2theta) ?
Do I take the two out to the front like this
2sin(2theta) ?

no. 4sinx = 2sin2xcos2x. then you can do double angle formula on the sin2x and cos2x

what you are saying is sin2x + sin2x which does not equal sin4x
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by user8937264980
no. 4sinx = 2sin2xcos2x. then you can do double angle formula on the sin2x and cos2x

Is this just a rule im meant to know or can I work this out becaus I don’t get it
Is this just a rule im meant to know or can I work this out becaus I don’t get it

use the sin (a+b) identity. a is 2x and b is 2x (2x+2x=4x). therefore sin4x = sin(2x)cos2x + cos2xsin2x
Reply 9

Both. You should know the standard double-angle formula sin(2A) = 2sinAcosA and then since this is valid for any angle A you can simply replace A with '2x' and work out that sin(4x) = sin[2(2x)] = 2sin(2x)cos(2x) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest