The Student Room Group

Does anyone here have high blood pressure and ADHD?

So I’ve been diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD. I’m looking to be put on medication, this was the main reason why I went private for a diagnosis as I believe this would help tremendously with my studies and getting work done.

I also have high blood pressure, and the psychiatrist emailed me saying I can’t use stimulant medication. I’ve had a good cry about this because I REALLY wanted something to help me out. Just to make life and day to day tasks and studying easier for me. Do I have any hope of any other medication available to me? Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I have asked this to the psychiatrist but they’re going to respond tomorrow now, and I want to know what can be done for me, as I’m really disappointed and upset.
Reply 1
There's plenty of non-stimulant ADHD medications, so i briefly searched it up and the first result said that clonidine might be good, therefore you can rest assured that there are medications out there that you can try.
Reply 2
Original post by eightocho
There's plenty of non-stimulant ADHD medications, so i briefly searched it up and the first result said that clonidine might be good, therefore you can rest assured that there are medications out there that you can try.

Thank you, I looked at that too but I was still confused as the email they sent me didn’t really suggest anything new. They just talked about what I couldn’t do, so I didn’t really understand
Reply 3

“However, if you are noticing an increase in blood pressure, then stimulant medication cannot be used. You should not take Elvanse nor Methylphenidate or other medication. You might also find that Atomoxetine might cause increased blood pressure, but please read the leaflet about it.”

This is what they said. They said I could also look at alternatives with counselling and stuff for ADHD. Also, they didn’t give me any leaflet so in my response I’ve asked them to send me one
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
“However, if you are noticing an increase in blood pressure, then stimulant medication cannot be used. You should not take Elvanse nor Methylphenidate or other medication. You might also find that Atomoxetine might cause increased blood pressure, but please read the leaflet about it.”

This is what they said. They said I could also look at alternatives with counselling and stuff for ADHD. Also, they didn’t give me any leaflet so in my response I’ve asked them to send me one

let me know if you still have any concerns after you get a response
Reply 5

Thank you. I got a response. I asked if this means I won’t be getting any medication from the private clinic I’m with. They responded with this.

“I am so sorry to hear this. We have to follow NICE guidance for prescribing for ADHD. The first choice for adults is Methylphenidate or Lisdexamphetamine, longer or shorter acting forms that have their side effects. The next possible option is Atomoxetine that is not stimulant, but again might have side effects. In this case I am very limited what medication could be offered. Such medication as Intunive is mostly for children and there are caution about adults that might cause changes in blood pressure and if stopped abruptly could lead to increase in blood pressure. Because of the nature how medications are working they present with similar side effects.

I have to follow NICE guidance and at present I am not sure what I would be able to offer. I could advice maybe monitoring blood pressure for several weeks and then requesting cardiologist appointment to see if any medication could be recommended to address the changes of the blood pressure.”
Reply 6

Do you not have anything to say? About my last response
Reply 7
Thank you. I got a response. I asked if this means I won’t be getting any medication from the private clinic I’m with. They responded with this.

“I am so sorry to hear this. We have to follow NICE guidance for prescribing for ADHD. The first choice for adults is Methylphenidate or Lisdexamphetamine, longer or shorter acting forms that have their side effects. The next possible option is Atomoxetine that is not stimulant, but again might have side effects. In this case I am very limited what medication could be offered. Such medication as Intunive is mostly for children and there are caution about adults that might cause changes in blood pressure and if stopped abruptly could lead to increase in blood pressure. Because of the nature how medications are working they present with similar side effects.

I have to follow NICE guidance and at present I am not sure what I would be able to offer. I could advice maybe monitoring blood pressure for several weeks and then requesting cardiologist appointment to see if any medication could be recommended to address the changes of the blood pressure.”

sorry for the not-very-fast reply (I have ADHD too, and i particularly struggle with memory and time)
i'm assuming the leaflet was not helpful? Have you got anything to help yet? How do you feel about their suggestion of monitoring blood pressure for several weeks and then asking a cariologist? How do you feel about trying other techniques such as meditation in the meantime while you wait for medical help?
Reply 8
Do you not have anything to say? About my last response

it seemed as though the only thing for you to do at that time was to wait for the leaflet

Quick Reply

Latest